Yield: 12 sliders, serving 4 to 6
Method: Direct grilling
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds Kobe-style ground beef, ideally with a 15 to 20 percent fat content
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, coarsely shredded
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slider rolls, brioche rolls or Parker House rolls, split
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Arugula leaves, washed
- Ripe red tomatoes, sliced
- Sliced dill pickles or sweet pickles, to serve (optional)
How to make it
Step 1: Place the ground beef and shredded cheese in a mixing bowl. Wet your hands with cold water and then gently combine the ingredients. Divide the meat mixture into 12 equal portions, then form each portion into a square patty about 2 inches on each side and ½ inch thick. Place the patties on a plastic-lined plate and refrigerate, covered, until ready to grill.
Step 2: Prepare the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
Step 3: When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill. Generously season the beef patties with salt and pepper and place them on the hot grill. Grill the sliders until cooked to taste, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare, turning with a spatula.
Step 4: Brush the cut sides of the rolls with the melted butter and broil until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Watch the rolls carefully, as they can burn quickly.
Step 5: To assemble the sliders, top the bottom half of each roll with a few arugula leaves, then a grilled beef patty, then top each with a slice of pickle, if desired, and the remaining half of the roll. Serve immediately.