Discover the heavenly taste of our Southern Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, a luscious dessert that brings together the richness of ripe bananas, moist cake, and velvety cream cheese frosting. This sumptuous recipe passed down through generations, celebrates the beauty of homemade baking and the warmth of family gatherings. Perfect for every occasion, this one-of-a-kind creation will delight your taste buds and make you the star of your next get-together.
How can I store the Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting?
Store the cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. The cream cheese frosting requires refrigeration to maintain its texture and freshness.
Can I freeze the Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting?
Yes, you can freeze the cake. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in an airtight container or freezer bag. The cake can be frozen for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and then bring it to room temperature before slicing.
Can I turn this recipe into Banana Cake cupcakes?
Absolutely! Simply adjust the baking time to 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups of flour
- 1-½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup softened butter
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup softened butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-½ cups of powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Grease and flour a 9 X 13-inch rectangular pan.
- Mash bananas with lemon juice and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In the mixer bowl, beat together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one by one, then add the vanilla. (source: Ineskohl.info)
- In alternation, add the flour and buttermilk.
- Incorporate the banana purée and mix until homogeneous.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center, comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, place a larger pan in the freezer.
- After baking, remove the pan from the freezer and place a clean cloth on the bottom.
- Remove the baked cake from the oven and place it in the ice cream pan.
- Place in the freezer for 1 hour until completely cooled.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the frosting. Cream butter and cream cheese together in a blender bowl.
- On low speed, add vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Blend until smooth and silky smooth.
- Frost the cake when completely cooled and decorate with banana slices if desired.