- 1 pound of lean ground beef (at least 80%)
- 1 can (16 ounces) Refried Beans
- 1 jar (16 oz.) of Thick ‘n Chunky Old El Paso® sauce
- 1 package (1 oz.) 40% less sodium taco seasoning mix
- 2 1/2 cups of large pieces of tortilla chips
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 cup of cut lettuce
Heat the oven to 350 °F. In a 12-inch skillet, cook meat over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fully cooked; drain. Stir in refried beans, salsa and taco seasoning mixture. Reduce heat to medium. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
In an ungreased 2-quart pot, place 2 cups of the tortilla chip pieces. Cover evenly with the meat mixture. Spread the bell pepper, onion, 1 cup of tomato, cheese and olives.
Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and the cheese has melted. Cover the baked pot with lettuce, the remaining 1/2 cup of tomato and the remaining 1/2 cup of tortilla chips.
This is a simple recipe for take-out and baking. Just set aside the ingredients and serve it hot.
Instead of cheddar cheese, try a taco flavored cheese.