If you want to make sure you won’t be hungry tomorrow, just cook this authentic (or almost authentic) beef burrito recipe today!
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 250 gr (about 8.8 oz) of ground beef
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 clove
- Onion salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small diced tomato
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cooked rice (ideal for spending leftovers from the day before)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) red or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) cumin
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated cheese of your choice (strong cheddar, Monterey jack, etc.)
- Sauces and condiments, to taste (fresh coriander, lettuce, black olives, sour cream, guacamole, hot sauce, salsa Fresca, etc.)
- In a frying pan with half of the oil over medium-high heat, brown the beef for about 5 minutes, and then add the garlic and cloves.
- Season with onion salt and pepper and continue cooking for about 2 minutes.
- Discard the clove and set it aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining oil over medium heat and cook the tomato for about 3 minutes.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice, beans, meat, cumin, and chili powder and continue cooking for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the cheese and mix well.
- Spread the mixture on 2 large tortilla rolls, add the sauces and condiments and roll up, taking care to fold the ends inwards.
- Cut in half and serve
For less mess and better “sandwich hold”, roll the burritos in aluminum foil before cutting in half. If that’s not enough, you can also refer to the video below.