Buttermilk pancakes are a type of pancake made from the buttermilk leftover from making butter.
Some people add a few tablespoons of lemon juice or white vinegar to the milk to curdle it and make a more traditional pancake.
The buttermilk pancakes recipe is a classic breakfast fare that is simple to prepare and easy for you to enjoy.
For many people, pancakes are a way to start the day off with a healthy dose of carbs and protein.
Pancakes are a versatile meal made up of just a few ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, butter, eggs and milk.
They also offer you the opportunity to experiment with different flavours and toppings.
The most frequent substitutions involve:
- Replacing some of the flour with cornmeal or oats.
- Adding berries or other fruit.
- Using applesauce instead of butter.
- Swapping vanilla extract for different flavours.
- Adding spices like nutmeg or ground cinnamon.
- Using buttermilk instead of milk.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Ingredients (6 people):
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. butter, For baking
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, soda, salt.
- Beat buttermilk, eggs, sugar, and oil in a second bowl, then gradually mix with dry ingredients.
- Put a little butter in a skillet over med-high heat (7-8) or so, if you’re like me, I have the 4 rounds that heat up; I put them between 6-7.
- Using a ladle, pour in about 1/4 cup of the pancake mixture.
- I put my pancakes on a sheet or a Pyrex dish to keep the pancakes warm—Bake in the oven at 200 f. for a few minutes.
- Serve with maple syrup, chocolate syrup, jam…