Learn how to prepare the best shrimp with potatoes and yellow corn with this simple spicy recipe, ready in 30 minutes! (shrimp boil )
- 450 grams of headless shrimp with the shell on
- 3 yellow corn, cut in half
- 10 washed cambray potatoes
- 6 Italian sausages cut in slices
- ¼ white onion
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper (available at the supermarket)
- 5 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (available at the supermarket)
- 2 tablespoons chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons refined sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- BOIL a pot of water, add the onion piece, the Cambray potatoes, the sausages, and two tablespoons of the cajun seasoning; cook until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add shrimp, lime juice, and corn.
- COMBINE remaining Cajun seasoning with paprika, lemon pepper, and chili flakes.
- MELT the butter in a skillet, add the garlic, cook for one minute; add the spice mixture and sugar.
- ADD a little of the shrimp cooking water to the spice sauce to lighten it slightly.
- REMOVE the shrimp from the water and add to the sauce; mix until well incorporated.
- PLACE the sausages, potatoes, and corn on the cob on a serving platter, add the shrimp with the sauce, and mix.
- SERVE this delicious Cajun shrimp and potato dish as a side dish for barbecues or a main dish.
One of the combinations I like the most is shrimp with Cambray potatoes. By itself, it is a complete dish, but this time, I share with you the following recipe with Italian sausage and yellow corn.
This dish is very popular in the United States south and is known as “boil”. This dish is a combination of seafood with potatoes and yellow corn which are all cooked in boiling water.
One of the reasons I love this dish is because it is so quick and easy to prepare. Everything is cooked at the same time in one pot and seasoned with a mixture of spices.
Since this shrimp dish is typical of the southern United States, I have decided to add spices that are used a lot in that area, such as Cajun seasoning.
This is a mixture of spices used to season fish and seafood. Nowadays, you can get it in Mexico at the supermarket in the spice section.
When buying shrimp, it is very important to check if it is in good condition. Even if we find the shrimp on ice in the supermarket, it usually comes from a long road where, at any moment, the ice chain can break.
This chain is extremely important because it is the one that ensures that food arrives fresh and in good condition to our homes. If there is an error in the process, the food decomposes more quickly and, in some cases, a food in bad condition does not always show physical signs.
That is why I share with you the following tips to verify that the shrimp you are buying is in perfect condition.
There are several characteristics to determine if a raw shrimp (the one that comes in grayish color) is in good condition.
1. Its color should be bluish-gray, if you find it green or brown, do not buy it, it is already decomposing.
2. It should feel firm to the touch. Regardless of whether it is still in shell or not, the body should be firm, if you find it watery or easily crushed it is already in bad condition.
3. If you buy it with head, make sure the eyes are firm, dry and have a dark black color.
4. It is important that it does not have liquid draining because, if it is on it, it will spoil faster, the right thing is that it is on well-frozen ice.
5. It should not give off a strong odor. Undoubtedly, for many, the smell of seafood is very unpleasant, but, there is a great difference between a fresh seafood smell and a decomposed one. If it has too strong an odor, it may not be in optimal conditions.
6. In case you buy pre-cooked shrimp (the one that already comes in orange color) you must follow the previous points and, in addition, make sure that the orange color is bright and does not show discoloration.
Always remember to store shrimp in the refrigerator or freezer and preferably in an airtight container.
Love all your recipes