It’s the vacations and the children are hungry. We don’t know what to offer them, now that they don’t eat at school anymore! You can’t barbecue hot dogs all summer long!
Here’s a healthy and tasty option that will save you the hassle of cooking after a meal. Because everything is prepared and cooked in one!
We love it!
- 1 cup (250 g) chopped onion
- ¾ pound (340 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into small cubes
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- ½ cup (105 g) uncooked white rice
- 10 ounces (295 ml) of cream of chicken (home or commercial)
- 1 ¼ cup (315 ml) chicken broth or water
- 1½ cup (375 g) broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
- 1½ (375 g) cup shredded cheese (cheddar or other melting cheese), divided
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) chopped fresh parsley
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for 2 to 4 minutes, until the onions are softened and translucent.
- Add cubed chicken, salt, and pepper and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add rice and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cream of chicken and chicken broth or water and mix.
- Bring the rice mixture to a boil and reduce over low heat.
- Cover and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the rice is completely cooked (stir occasionally and check about halfway through to see if broth or water should be added and make sure the rice is not sticky).
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Add the broccoli florets and half of the grated cheese and stir to mix well.
- Cook for another 1-2 minutes or until broccoli softens slightly.
- Remove pan from heat and garnish with remaining cheese.
- Place saucepan under the broiler for a few minutes, until cheese melts and begins to brown slightly.
- Garnish with chopped parsley just before serving.