I’m gonna share with you my recipe for chocolate chess pie.
For the crust:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- roughly a cup of ice cold water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, in solid form
For the filling:
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- First we gotta make the crust. Add two cups of flour to your bowl. Then add half a teaspoon of salt.
- Add two-thirds of a cup of hardened coconut oil (you want to make sure it’s cold), and add a spoonful at a time.
- Then you want to add in ice-cold water just a little bit at a time until you form a dough-like texture. Okay, it looks like it’s about the right texture now. Okay so normally at this point you would roll out the dough, however, I realized that we threw away our roller and we never replaced it so I got to do this in a little bit of a less efficient manner. But if you have a roller, this step will be easier for you. By the way, I have the dough on parchment paper that has been heavily dusted with flour, and I just weighed down the edges of the parchment paper so it doesn’t move around. Now we’re gonna place the pie dish on top of the dough, and then carefully flip it over.
- Then, gently peel off the parchment paper and press the dough into the pan. You’ll have to trim and smooth the edges.
- Then poke the crust with a fork so you don’t get air bubbles. Make sure to get the edges too.
- Now it’s time to blind bake the crust. It only needs a few minutes because you want it to get a head start on the filling. Step 2 the filling First, melt five tablespoons of unsalted butter and then add it to your bowl. Next, add six tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder Mix them together. Honestly, it’s probably easier just to mix it by hand because the powder was sticking to the side of the bowl. Add one and a quarter cups of sugar.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Add half a cup of almond milk and two eggs.
- Add one teaspoon vanilla extract and mix all that together for several minutes until it’s frothy. Stop the mixer a couple of times throughout this process so that you can scrape the sides of the bowl because the butter cocoa mixture likes to stick to the bottom.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 45 minutes or until the pie crust is golden brown and the filling is fully solidified. Hope you liked this recipe, and enjoy your Pie