Ingredients for making chocolate Eclairs:
For 2 dozen:
For the dough:
- 1.78 oz butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- zest of one lemon
- 1 1/3 cups of sifted flour
- 4 eggs
For the filling:
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 jar condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
For the chocolate dip:
- 1 cup grated drinking chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
How to make chocolate Eclairs:
- Boil 1/4 cup water with the butter, add the salt and lemon zest.
- Remove from the heat and add the flour all at once, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon.
- Return to the heat for a few seconds and continue stirring until the dough comes off the pan in a single block.
- Remove from heat and add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously between additions.
- Pour, using two teaspoons, form eclairs about 8 cm long on a buttered baking tin and bake in a hot oven for about ten minutes, until they puff up, then lower the heat and leave for another ten or fifteen minutes.
- Let them cool in the oven.
- Mix the egg yolks with the cornstarch, dilute with the condensed milk dissolved in a jar of water (milk container) and place over low heat stirring constantly until it thickens; add the butter or margarine and the vanilla.
- Remove from the fire, once it has thickened, let it cool.
- Cut a slit in one side of the eclairs and fill them with the cooled cream.
- Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie, add the butter and coat the eclairs with this sauce, leaving them to bake before serving.