This is a classic cream puffs recipe! It’s really delicious when it’s very fresh.
Preparation : 25 min
Cooking time : 20 min
For the cream:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cups of sugar
- half teaspoon of vanilla extract or liquid vanilla
- 0.33 L, of whole milk
- 2 Tablespoon of cornstarch
For the dough:
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 cup of flour
- 25 cl of water
- 1 egg
- 5 1/4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 pinch of salt or fine salt
Make the cream:
- Boil the milk with half of the sugar and the liquid vanilla.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the remaining sugar together until the mixture is white. Add the cornflour and mix.
- Then add the boiling milk while whisking. Pour back into the pan.
- Place the saucepan on low heat, keep stirring with a whisk.
- Bring to the boil, whisking constantly and cook for 3 minutes.
- Cool the cream in the refrigerator.
Prepare the dough :
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- In a saucepan, boil the water with the chunks of butter and salt.
- Remove from the heat and add the flour at once. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture becomes a thick dough that sticks to the spatula.
- Put the pan back on a low heat and dry the dough for a few seconds.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the eggs, one after the other, mixing vigorously until the egg and the dough are absorbed. The dough becomes runny but not liquid.
- You have to put the last egg in gradually, otherwise the dough will be too liquid and you may mess up your dough.
- Place small piles using a piping bag.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown for about 25 minutes. The puffs must be dry.
Garnish the puffs:
- Make an incision on the side of the puffs and, using a piping bag, garnish the puffs.