Today I bring you a coconut cake recipe that is very simple and delicious.
Mine, with this coconut cake, was love at first sight. From the first moment I saw it in a Russian magazine, it took my heart. In general, I like coconut very much. Its warm and so “bright” smell gives a touch of distinction to dishes, whether they are sweet or savory. The coconut makes it a special treat automatically.
The cake lasted 3 days: 3 breakfasts and 2 snacks. When I ate the last piece, I was even a little sad that it was over… It was delicious!
- 6 medium eggs
- 200 g sugar
- 100 g of flour for pastry or normal flour, but not a strong flour
- 10 g vanilla sugar or a vanilla stick
- 30 g cornstarch
- 45 g flour
- 75 g powdered sugar
- 75 g sugar
- 500 ml milk
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 6 egg yolks
For the garnish
- 200 g freshly grated coconut
STEP BY STEP PREPARATION
- In a bowl, heat the milk, coconut milk, sugar, and vanilla sugar (or vanilla seeds).
- While the milk is heating, separate the egg yolks from the egg whites (the egg whites can be used later to prepare this spectacular cake).
- Add powdered sugar to the yolks and stir.
- Add flour with cornstarch and stir.
- Add the hot milk (if it was boiling we wait a few seconds for it to calm down).
- Stir everything very well and put the mixture back into the bowl.
- Cook the cream over moderate heat, stirring all the time, until it thickens. It will take about 5 minutes approximately.
- Once cooked, it is this thick. We cover it with cling film (it has to come into contact with the cream), we wait for it to cool down and we keep it in the fridge.
- Grease with butter and sprinkle with flour a mold of 22 cm in diameter.
- In a bowl, whip the egg yolks with 150 g of sugar for 5-7 minutes at maximum speed.
- Whip the egg whites, starting at the lowest speed and gradually increasing it.
- When the beaters begin to leave defined marks, add – without stopping the mixer – the remaining 50 g of sugar.
- Continue whipping for another 1 minute and stop.
- Add the egg yolks to the egg whites.
- Very carefully, and with movements from bottom to top, mix them.
- Add the sifted flour.
- Mix again very carefully, as before. When you stop seeing the flour, stop mixing.
- We put the dough in the mold and bake for 30 min at 180C. Watching.
- When we take the cake out of the oven, we wait about 5-10 min, unmold it, cool it on a wire rack, and, once cool, cut it in two.
- Put half of the cream in the middle layer.
- With the other half, we spread the cake on the top and sides.
- Sprinkle with grated coconut.