I know I just posted a super delicious pumpkin recipe the other day, but I neeeeeed to get this one out there too, because:
a) I had some pumpkin left in the fridge that was going to go bad if I didn’t use it up
b) ummmm, it’s chocolate.
c) did I mention the chocolate?
This recipe has double the chocolate, and zero the animal products. Moist, decadent and completely 100% vegan.
Inspiration hit when I did a quick search on Pinterest for ideas of what to do with this left over pumpkin I had. I saw an amazing looking recipe, and challenged myself to make it vegan. I had to remove the yogurt, the butter, the eggs and the buttermilk.
I kept the double chocolate though 😉
The mission was a success, and this quick bread is well loved by both kids. Logan licked his plate clean even, and demanded I put this in his lunch tomorrow.
As I was making it, I had the thought of how to make it gluten free. I get asked quite a bit about gluten free options for my recipes. No one in my house has an intolerance to gluten, so any baking I attempt to do outside of my usual flour has yet to be successful. Maybe my expectations are too high. Maybe I’m expecting it to taste like it would with regular flour. Either way, I have a few different types of gluten free flours to experiment with, so I’ll have to give it a go sometime, and post when I find something that my toughest little critics love.
The chocolate flavour definitely shines in this recipe, the pumpkin isn’t nearly as noticeable. But it was delicious with a little bit of Earth Balance spread on top, and if I enjoyed milk of any type, I’m sure it would be fabulous with that as well.
If you make this, please come back and let me know what you thought, or use and I’ll check it out!
Double Chocolate Pumpkin Bread
- 1/4 c. Coconut Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vinegar
- 1/2 c. Coconut Oil
- 1 c. Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 c. Applesauce (Unsweetened)
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 c. Pureed Pumpkin
- 1 1/3 c. All Purpose Flour
- 2/3 c. Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 c. Chocolate Chips (vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Measure out coconut milk and add vinegar, put aside.
- In bowl of mixer, cream together coconut oil and coconut sugar for 2-3 minutes (does not cream together like traditional sugar and butter)
- Add the applesauce, vanilla and pumpkin, and mix until combined.
- In separate bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt) and add to the mixer.
- Pour in the coconut milk/vinegar mixture
- Mix until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips
- Scoop into loaf pan, and bake 60-70 minutes, or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool a few minutes in pan, and then move to cooling rack.