- 2 cups Total® cereal
- 1 cup apple juice or apple cider juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 medium apple, unpeeled, chopped (1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease only the bottom of a 9×5-inch loaf or muffin pan with vegetable shortening or cooking spray. Place cereal in a resealable plastic food bag or between sheets of waxed paper; crush with a rolling pin. In a large bowl, mix crushed cereal (about 3/4 cup), apple juice, and vanilla; let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir remaining ingredients into cereal mixture, except apple. Stir in apple. Pour mixture into the pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Peel sides of loaf from pan; remove from pan and cool on a cookie sheet. Cool completely before slicing, at least 1 hour.
Use whatever cereal you have in your pantry to add flavor and texture as well as nutritional value to this delicious bread, tasty any time of day.
A portion of Whole Grains: 1/2