for about 12 fritters or bomboloni
For the doughnut dough:
- 290 g flour type 45 or 00 for pizza
- 30 g powdered sugar
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk (total 75 g)
- 90 ml of whole milk
- 4 g dry yeast (or 12 g fresh baking powder)
- 20 g soft butter
- 5 g salt
- zest of one organic lemon
For the pastry cream:
- 250 ml of whole milk
- 2 egg yolks or 1 whole egg
- 50 g white or pure cane sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
- 30 g cornstarch (maïzena)
- 30 g of butter
For the finishing touch:
- Sunflower or peanut frying oil
- 1 bowl of white or cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon or vanilla
Preparation of the doughnut dough :
- Prepare a sourdough; in a bowl, add 100 g of flour (extracted from the total), the baking powder, and a tablespoon of sugar. Mix well, add 90 ml of slightly warm milk at room temperature and mix until it is homogeneous; cover the bowl with cling film and let it rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place.
- After this fermentation, add the sourdough previously prepared in the bowl of the mixer, the eggs are beaten with a fork, the sugar, the remaining flour, the grated lemon peel or vanilla, and the softened butter and start kneading with the hook for about 10 minutes. The ingredients should mix and combine to form a homogeneous dough that is a little sticky but can be removed from the food processor’s bowl. If the dough is very sticky, teaspoonfuls gradually add flour until you reach the desired consistency, which is very similar to smooth brioche dough.
- Form a dough, put it in a bowl, cover it with cling film and let it rest in a warm place for about an hour and a half to two hours, depending on the room temperature.
In the meantime, prepare the pastry cream:
- In a saucepan, pour the milk and half the sugar (25 g). Scrape the vanilla bean with a knife and add the seeds of half a bean and the stem to the milk. Bring the mixture to a boil over low heat to infuse the vanilla into the milk.
- In a bowl, put the whole egg or the two yolks with the remaining sugar (25 g) and the vanilla sugar and beat them vigorously with a whisk until the mixture turns white and the sugar crystals are dissolved.
- Gradually add cornstarch (cornstarch type) or, if not available, flour to the egg and sugar mixture. Mix gently so as not to form lumps.
- Once the mixture is homogeneous, pour half of the vanilla-flavored milk – just boiling – on the cream mixture. Mix gently at first and then more vigorously to loosen the cream. When the cream is soft, pour it back into the pan with the remaining half of the milk.
- Return the pan to low heat. Stir constantly until the first bubbles appear, which coincides with the thickening of the cream. The cream should remain soft.
- Finally, when the cream is sufficiently cooked, please turn off the heat and stir in the butter, then continue to whip it to cool more quickly.
- To prevent a dry crust from forming on the surface, cover it with cling film and keep it in a cool place.
- When you are ready to use it, remove the vanilla bean and whisk it once more to obtain a light consistency!
Shaping and baking the doughnuts :
- Once the doughnut dough has risen, divide it into 12 equal-sized balls and roll them out on a clean work surface without flour.
- Place the dough balls in a dish lined with parchment paper, taking care to space them out as they will swell up after they rise.
- Let the doughnuts rise for about 40 minutes to 1 hour in a warm, draft-free place.
- Heat a generous amount of sunflower or peanut oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan or skillet. The oil temperature should not be too low, otherwise, the fritters will absorb too much oil, nor too high. Otherwise, they will be too colored on the outside and raw on the inside.
- Fry the doughnuts by turning them over when they are cooked, then place them on absorbent paper.
- Coat the doughnuts in sugar mixed with cinnamon and then top with custard using a pastry bag fitted with a small tip. Cut a small hole in the side of each doughnut and pipe about a tablespoon of custard into each doughnut.
Of course, it is best to enjoy these delicious cakes warm, but you can prepare them about 12 hours in advance.
Enjoy making and tasting them!