At Ineskohl Kitchen, the arrival of the cold months brings with it too many delicious and homemade recipes that make us feel the warmth of home. While it’s true that there’s nothing more appealing than covering up with blankets while enjoying a hot chocolate, we have come up with something that appeals even more: accompanying the time with this recipe for ginger and honey cookies.
Enjoy the rich aromatic flavor of this recipe that, besides being perfect for Christmas and the holidays, is very easy to make. We tell you the step-by-step preparation and give you suggestions to make them dreamy. Keep reading and discover how to make gingerbread and honey cookies!
Ingredients to make Gingerbread Cookies:
- 2 cups of pastry flour.
- 1/2 cup of sugar (white or brown)
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder or Royal Yeast
How to make Gingerbread Cookies:
- Peel and grate the ginger. You can use fresh ginger or powdered ginger. Set aside.
- Tip: Remember that all ingredients must be at room temperature.
- Pour the sugar and butter into a bowl and beat both ingredients until you have a creamy mixture.
- Add the eggs, salt, honey, and grated ginger. Mix again until well blended.
- Combine the flour and baking powder in another bowl. Sift both together and add them to the ginger-honey cookie mixture a little at a time. Mix with your hands as you add them.
- Roll the cookie dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap. Set aside in the refrigerator until chilled.
- Take out the honey-ginger cookie dough and roll it out on a floured surface.
- Cut the cookies with a cookie cutter or with the help of a knife. You can give them any shape you like. If you want to make soft gingerbread cookies, try to make the cookies thicker. We recommend about 6 mm.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC and place the cookies on a tray with a separation of about 5 cm between each one. Bake them for about 15 minutes and when they are golden brown, take out your honey gingerbread cookies and enjoy them! If you wish, you can decorate them with fondant or powdered sugar.
If you liked the recipe for Honey Gingerbread Cookies, we suggest you to visit our Cookie Recipes category.
Gingerbread and honey cookies: a recipe for everyone!
Honey-ginger cookies are unmatched for their aromatic flavor. In addition to ginger and honey, you can add other spices such as cloves and cinnamon. That way, you will have authentic gingerbread cookies for Christmas. If you like the taste of oatmeal more, you can prepare some super easy gingerbread and oatmeal cookies. But beyond flavors, we want everyone to enjoy them without limiting diet, so we tell you how to make these cookies for different types of diets.
Gingerbread and Honey Cookies Without Butter
In cookie and pastry recipes, butter can be substituted for oil. Oil, being more liquid than butter, requires mixing it together with eggs and sugar. For this recipe, you can use about 85 g of sunflower oil. You could also use olive oil, but be aware that its flavor is usually stronger and may alter the taste of the whole recipe.
Gingerbread and honey cookies without eggs
If you want to make some egg-free cookies or vegan ginger and honey cookies, you can use ingredients such as agave syrup, vegetable milk, and coconut oil. If you want to know the step by step on how to prepare these cookies, feel free to enter our vegan gingerbread cookies recipe.
How to prepare Christmas gingerbread and honey cookies
If you want to make your cookies with an extra Christmas touch, the key is in the decoration. You can prepare a red and green colored icing and prepare your cookies in the shape of Christmas trees, gingerbread men or stars.