These pickled beets are quick and easy to prepare. They are much better than those marinated beets you get in salad bars.
- 1 10 lb (4.5 kg) bag of beets
- 625 ml (2 1/2 cups) vinegar
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) of water
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) brown sugar
- Brush the beets, keeping the peel and a piece of stem. Separate large beets from small ones.
- Place large beets in a large saucepan and small beets in another saucepan. Fill both pans with water and bring to a boil. Cook over low heat until tender, 1 hour and 30 minutes for large beets and 1 hour for small beets. Remove from heat. Drain and let cool.
- Beets can also be cooked in a pressure cooker (Presto) in a little water (2 cm – 3/4 inch). It takes 20 minutes for large beets and 15 minutes for small beets.
- Put on gloves to peel and slice or dice the beets.
- Place beets in Mason jars that have been warmed in the oven at 65°C (150°F).
- For marinade, bring vinegar, water, and brown sugar to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour the boiling liquid into the jars and immediately seal the lids.