Make a homemade version of the Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme at home in just 30 minutes! This easy recipe has crispy tortillas, seasoned beef, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and a creamy lime-hot sauce. Way better than the fast food version!
- 2 large (12-inch) corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef (85/15 lean)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1-2 tbsp hot sauce (like Cholula)
- 1⁄4 cup diced tomato
- 2 tbsp pickled red onions (see instructions below)
For Pickled Onions:
- 1⁄2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- Make the pickled onions: In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, water and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the sliced onions and remove from heat. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Prepare the ground beef: In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the ground beef. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne and salt. Use a potato masher to break up the meat into small crumbles as it cooks, until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and beef broth to the skillet. Cook for 2 more minutes until any liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Warm the tortillas: Place 2 large corn tortillas on a baking sheet and lightly spray with oil. Broil for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned and crispy. Remove and set aside.
- Assemble the crunchwrap: On one tortilla, layer half the beef, lettuce, tomato, cheese, pickled onions and sour cream.
- In a small bowl, stir together the lime juice and hot sauce. Spread over the second tortilla.
- Place the second tortilla on top and press gently to seal. Carefully flip over so the toasted side is facing up.
- Lightly brush the top tortilla with oil and place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until crispy and browned in spots.
- Slice in half or quarters and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Tips for Making Homemade Crunchwraps:
- Use fresh, soft corn tortillas instead of hard taco shells for folding. Look for large 10-12 inch tortillas.
- Make sure to toast the tortillas before assembling to add crunch. You can broil, grill or pan fry them.
- Dry the lettuce before adding for maximum crunch. Pat it thoroughly with paper towels after rinsing/chopping.
- Use a potato masher to get the crumbly, pebbly texture of the Taco Bell beef. Keep breaking it up as it cooks.
- The lime-hot sauce crema adds moisture and a tangy kick. Adjust the hot sauce to your desired spice level.
- Don’t overstuff the crunchwrap or it won’t seal properly. Use just enough filling per layer.
- Press gently but firmly when sealing to help the edges stick together. The cheese will also act as a glue.
- Get an even crisp on both sides by finishing under the broiler. Watch it closely to avoid burning.
- Customize the fillings to your preferences. Consider adding rice, beans, guacamole, nacho cheese or jalapeños.
- Slice into quarters for easy eating. The crispness provides a satisfying crunch with each bite.