Course: cake, Dessert
Author: Ines Kitchen
– 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
– 1 cup milk, hot
– 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup cocoa, sifted
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
– 1/4 cup canola oil
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 2 eggs
– 2 cups sweet coconut flakes
– 1 can of 300 ml sweetened condensed milk
– 3/4 cup 35% cream
– 1 1/2 cups toasted pecans, crushed
1) Place the rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Grease with butter two 20-cm (8-inch) diameter springform pans and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
2) Place the chocolate in a bowl. Pour the hot milk over the chocolate and let stand for 1 minute. Using a whisk, stir until smooth. Set aside.
3) In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
4) In another bowl, cream butter with brown sugar, oil, and vanilla using an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until the mixture is homogeneous.
5) Stir in the dry ingredients alternating with the milk and chocolate mixture. Spread in the pans and bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cakes’ center comes out clean. Let it cool on the wire rack.
1) In a saucepan, mix the coconut and condensed milk. Heat gently, stirring continuously until the mixture takes on a golden color. Add the cream and mix well. Remove from heat and stir in pecans. Let cool.
1) Place the cake on a serving plate. Cover it with half of the filling. Place the second cake on top and cover with the remaining filling. Let cool completely.
Be careful not to confuse evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk often sold under the Eagle brand. It is the latter that is used in the recipe.