For the sauce:
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 cups of chopped or crushed tomatoes
- salt, oregano, and oil c/n
- 1 bay leaf
For the meatballs
- 1/2 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 kg of minced meat (it can be half pork and half beef)
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 kg of minced meat (it can be 1/2 pork and 1/2 beef)
- 1 and 1/2 eggs
- chopped fresh herbs, salt, oil, ground black pepper c/n
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 1/2 cups of grated cheese
- Mozzarella or fresh cheese
Step by step:
For the sauce:
- Sauté the chopped onion in oil and season. Stir frequently until the onion is transparent and golden brown. Add the tomato and simmer for 15 minutes.
For the meatballs:
- Sauté the onion in oil. Then mix all the ingredients for the meatballs in a bowl and mix well with clean hands.
- Form the meatballs about the size of a walnut and place them separately on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and heat over medium heat until bubbles appear. Reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes, stirring gently.
- To make the sandwich open the bread lengthwise. Cut some meatballs in half and put them between the bread pressing with a fork with the bread. Cover with sauce and cheese slices. Place in the oven or toaster to melt the cheese.
If you liked this Homemade Meatball Subs recipe, I recommend you visit Dinner category for similar recipes.