Kids love meatballs, and moms and dads will love all the nutrients in the vegetables hidden in this recipe. Spoon some into a nutritious sandwich, or serve the original recipe over spaghetti.
- 1 jar (570 ml) Healthy Harvest® Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 small chopped zucchini
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 slice of wholemeal bread cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of Italian dried herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb (454 g) lean ground beef
- Thinly chop the carrot, zucchini, and garlic in a food processor. Add the bread, cheese, milk, egg, dried herbs, salt, and pepper, and blend the ingredients without puréeing.
- Pour into a bowl. Then add the crumbled beef. Mix gently to blend with other ingredients; prepare 18 meatballs.
- Meanwhile, heat the sauce in a large frying pan over medium heat. Then add the meatballs to the sauce and partially cover. Simmer for 15 minutes, turning meatballs over after 8 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese over the meatballs and serve them on submarine rolls or a bed of hot cooked spaghetti.
If you do not have a food processor, use a grater to finely chop the carrot and zucchini.
By portion (3 dumplings with sauce):
267 calories, 13 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 86 mg cholesterol, 634 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, and 23 g protein. Excellent source of vitamin B12 and zinc. Good source of riboflavin and iron.