The dough for the “cannoli “:
- 2 3/4 cup of flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of bitter cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/4 cup of lard (or butter)
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
- 50 ml Marsala (Marsala is a wine with a controlled designation of origin produced in the region of the Italian town of Marsala in Sicily)
- 1 good pinch of cinnamon powder
- 1 pinch of salt
The ricotta cream:
- 750 g of ricotta cheese
- 75 gr of chocolate chips in the shape of “drops
- 250 g sugar
- 1 small pinch of salt
- 2 bags of vanilla sugar (or a vanilla bean..)
- Candied lemon peel
- Pistachio powder
- Chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
- 6 stainless steel tubes
- 1 pastry bag
- 1 frying bath
- The ricotta cream: (To prepare the old one)
- Strain the ricotta. This will remove the excess liquid.
- In a food processor or with a whisk, beat the ricotta with the sugars and a small pinch of salt. The mixture should become smooth. Add the chocolate chips, mix gently and cover with cling film and keep in the fridge overnight.
The dough: (the next day)
- In the bowl of your food processor or by hand, mix all the ingredients to form a smooth and homogeneous dough. Knead for 5/10 minutes. It must be elastic and not sticky.
- Cover it with a cling film and let it rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Separate the dough. Using a rolling pin or your dough machine, stretch the dough to a thickness of 2 millimeters. Form circles of about 9 cm in diameter with a cookie cutter or a glass.
- Preheat the frying bath (180°C).
- Grease your stainless steel tubes. Roll up the dough rounds on the cylinders, sealing their ends with egg white and fry them until golden brown (20 seconds, it’s very fast!). Carefully remove the cylinder without burning yourself! Drain on paper towels. Caution: You don’t want to let the cannoli cool on the cylinders or it will be difficult to remove them.
- Garnish the cannoli at the last minute so that they retain their crispness. Using a piping bag, generously fill the cannoli with ricotta cream. Decorate the ends with a lemon peel, orange peel, pistachio powder or chocolate chips. It’s your choice!
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- To save time, you can find ready-made rolls in the shops (Italian stores). (I admit it’s hard to find them!)
- You can make the cannoli in advance, to do this line the inside of the rolls with melted dark chocolate. This prevents the moisture of the ricotta from softening the cookie.
- Serve immediately and keep them in the fridge as soon as possible. The cannoli can be kept for 2 days in the refrigerator.