A very good soft cake with a little spicy taste.
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups unscreened flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
For the trim:
- 3 tablespoons of butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 chopped coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- In a bowl, pour boiling water over the oatmeal, mix and rest for 40 minutes. Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a mold. Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg; let stand.
- In a blender on medium speed, cream 1/2 cup butter. Add sugar and brown sugar, a little at a time, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition, until frothy. Add the vanilla.
- Add the oatmeal mixture, stirring to bind well. At low speed, stir in flour mixture. Pour batter into pan. Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling; in a small bowl, mix all the ingredients and spread over the cake when it comes out of the oven.
- Return to the oven and bake 10 minutes longer or until golden brown.