Finally, a meatloaf that’s not boring! To vary the flavours, try replacing the Cajun BBQ sauce with the BBQ jerk sauce and the Cajun spices with an herb blend of your choice!
- 3 slices of stale bread
- ½ cup milk
- 3. tablespoons butter
- 1 lb. lean beef, ground
- 1 lb. lean pork, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 cup + 4 tbsp. Cajun BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp. Tabasco
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. old fashioned mustard
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 green shallots, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp. Cajun spices
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ¼ nutmeg, grated
- ½ tsp. celery seed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove crusts from bread. Cut the crumb into cubes and let it soak in a large bowl with the milk for 10 minutes.
- Crumble the bread into crumbs with a fork. Add Tabasco and Worcestershire sauces, mustard, and 4 tablespoons of Cajun BBQ sauce. Add Cajun spices, cumin, nutmeg, and celery seeds. Set aside.
- In a hot skillet, cook the butter onions, bell pepper, shallots, and celery. When the vegetables begin to color (5-7 minutes), pour them over the bread mixture and let cool for 5 minutes. Mix with a fork. Add meats, eggs, and 1 tbsp. Salt.
- Knead until mixture is smooth. Place in a large bread pan or Pyrex baking dish and brush with Cajun BBQ sauce.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes. Increase temperature to 400°F and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Brush with sauce from time to time.
- Serve with remaining Cajun barbecue sauce on the side.