What could be more comforting than a molasses Buns and a glass of milk?
Quantity: 20 cookies
Preparation time: 20min
Baking time: 10min
Baking Equipment: 4 aluminum cookie sheets
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) / 195 g All-purpose white flour
- 330 mL (1 1/3 cups) / 145 g Whole wheat flour
- 12 mL (2 1/2 teaspoons) / 8 g Baking powder
- 1 mL / 1 g Baking soda
- 5 mL (1 tsp.) / 2 g Ginger, ground
- 5 mL (1 tsp.) / 4 g Ground cinnamon
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) / 2 g Milled cloves
- 2 Eggs
- 80 mL (1/3 cup) / 70 g White granulated sugar
- 200 mL (3/4 cup + 4 tsp) Canola oil
- 160 mL (2/3 cup) Fancy molasses
- Place the oven rack on the highest level. Preheat conventional oven to 180°C (350°C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, and spices in a large bowl. Set aside. ( source: ineskohl.info )
- Combine the eggs, sugar, oil, and molasses in another large bowl.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients and mix to obtain a smooth dough.
- Using a 45 ml ice cream scoop, shape the dough into balls and spread evenly on the cookie sheets. Space each ball of dough to not touch each other when baking (about 6 per plate).
- Bake in a conventional oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Another Recipe for Molasses Buns (optional)
- 750 cups (3 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) baking powder
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) baking soda
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) ground ginger
- 2.5 mL (1/2 tsp.) ground nutmeg
- 125 cups (1/2 cup) butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 45 mL (3 tbsp.) applesauce
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 180 mL (3/4 cup) molasses
- 1 egg
- 180 mL (3/4 cup) 1% milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices in a bowl.
- In another bowl, using a hand mixer, mix butter or margarine with applesauce, brown sugar, and molasses until smooth. Add egg and mix for a few seconds. ( source: ineskohl.info )
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon the equivalent of 30 mL (2 tbsp.) of dough onto a baking sheet, leaving 5 cm (2 inches) between each cookie. If desired, sprinkle with small candies or pearl sugar. Bake until cookies is slightly set, about 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies cool on the baking sheet; baking will finish outside the oven.