This Coconut Cream Pie recipe is sweet with a tropical flavor that can be enjoyed all year round.
Ingredients for the Coconut Cream Pie
- 6 1/4 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup of milk cream
- 620 ml of divided milk (500 ml and 125 ml)
- 1 3/4 cups of grated coconut
- 1/2 cups of sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a bowl, combine the flour and salt, add the cold butter and cut into pieces, chop with a pastry blender or use a food processor; mix and make a dough in the form of moist crumbs. (source : ineskohl.info )
- Place the dough in a 22 cm tart pan, press lightly on the bottom and sides, refrigerate for 20 minutes—Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Take out the chilled dough and prick with a fork, bake for 25 minutes or until the base of the tart is well cooked. A simple way to check, is to insert a wooden toothpick in the center, if it comes out dry, it is ready. Set aside.
Toasted coconut filling
- In a baking dish, spread 65 grams of the shredded coconut, bake at 180°C for 5 minutes, often stirring to avoid burning. Reserve the browned coconut.
- Cook the milk and the rest of the grated coconut in a saucepan over medium-low heat, bring to a boil, boil for 1 minute. Turn off and remove from heat, let stand covered for 9 to 11 minutes. Strain through a sieve, pour the milk back into the pot, discard the coconut.
- In a bowl, mix cornstarch, sugar, salt, egg yolks, 125 ml of milk, whisk well. Add the mixture to the freshly boiled milk cook over medium-low heat for 4 minutes, constantly stirring, until it begins to thicken.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, pour in the vanilla extract and, whisk, cover, place in the refrigerator for 40 to 50 minutes, or until slightly chilled.
Assembling the Coconut Cream Pie
Divide the toasted coconut into 2 parts of 20 grams and 40 grams. Add 20 grams of shredded coconut on the base or crust; with the help of a spoon, add all the filling (shape and smooth).
Whip the cream until it forms peaks and decorates the tart; sprinkle the remaining 40 grams of coconut. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Unmold and serve.
If you liked this Coconut Cream Pie recipe, take a look at other options in related recipes.
Love your receipes