Custard pie A sweet and creamy custard tart, baked to perfection. Custards are very quick and easy to make. They can also be used on their own, or in custard pies, like today’s recipe.
If you want to save more time, buy the puff pastry dough at the supermarket.
For the puff pastry dough:
- 1.31 cups of flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- Half cup of cold unsalted butter
- 60 ml ice-cold water
- 1 teaspoon of chilled sunflower oil
For the custard filling
- 750 ml milk
- 3/4 cups of sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch of salt
- Prepare the dough. Mix all the ingredients and knead them with your hands until you have a manageable dough. On a floured surface, stretch the dough with a rolling pin until it has a thickness of 1 cm or centimeter and a half. Stretch the dough into a 22 cm diameter pie pan. Chill the dough in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat the oven to 180 ºC, make some holes in the dough with a fork, and put the puff pastry in the oven for 10 minutes. Ideally, put some weights on the dough so that it does not rise during baking.
- Meanwhile, prepare the custard. Heat the milk in a saucepan until a layer begins to appear on top.
- In another bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt, without beating too much so as not to incorporate air into the mixture and leave it full of holes.
- Slowly add 1/3 of the hot milk to the egg mixture and stir. This will temper the eggs. But you have to do it very slowly, otherwise, the eggs will curdle and you will have scrambled eggs in the custard.
- Keep adding the rest of the milk, whisking slowly until the custard begins to thicken.
- Pour the custard into the precooked and partially cooled dough. Cover the edges of the crust with aluminum foil to prevent burning.
- Place the pie in the oven, on the bottom, and bake for 20 minutes. Open the door and turn the pie 180 degrees. Continue baking the cake for another 15 minutes until it is cooked in the center. In the end, the pie should have a firm filling, with slightly puffed edges and a nice golden color.
- Let the pie cool completely before serving or put it in the refrigerator to cool more quickly.
Use egg yolks to make a richer, creamier custard. Or whole eggs to give more structure to the custard.