Rice pudding is exactly what you want to eat on a cold day or a rainy afternoon. It is rich, creamy, tasty, and enhanced with a comforting touch of cinnamon. This recipe is so easy, it is practically enough to simply stir the rice once in a while.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup short-grain white rice (such as Arborio rice, pearl rice, or Valencia rice)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) water
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 liter (4 cups) of milk
- ½ cup (100 g) Redpath Special Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- Rinse the rice in cold water, then put it in a pan with the water and the cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- When the rice is cooked, add the milk, sugar, and vanilla, stirring to mix well. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy, stirring occasionally, taking care to scrape the bottom of the pan to ensure that the rice does not burn. When the pudding is ready, remove from heat and transfer to a dish or several dishes to make small portions. Serve slightly chilled, or refrigerate 3 hours or overnight until chilled.
*For an extra touch of flavor, add the zest of a lemon or orange when adding vanilla.
*To make a vegan rice pudding, use 2 cups of almond milk and 2 cups of coconut milk instead of cow’s milk.
*Fill the pudding with a pinch of ground cinnamon or nutmeg, if desired.