Spaghetti with cherry tomato, garlic, and basil sauce. Ready in 15 minutes. A simple, quick and delicious dish. Feel free to vary the sauce and the pasta. I give you some ideas in the notes below and in the text before the recipe.
- 1 large skillet with a wide base
- 1 large saucepan/casserole to cook the spaghetti
For the pasta:
- 300 g to 500 g of spaghetti see notes
For the cherry tomato sauce :
- 600 g cherry tomatoes 1 liter
- 4 tablespoons good quality olive oil, up to 100 ml
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon of salt more or less, according to your taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar optional
- A few fresh basil leaves a dozen or so or as desired
- Grated Parmesan cheese optional
Cook the pasta:
- Bring a large amount of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti according to package instructions.
- Save 1 cup (250 mL) of the spaghetti cooking water (you won’t use it all, but more is better than less!). Drain the rest.
Prepare the cherry tomato sauce:
- Over medium heat, heat olive oil in a large casserole or skillet.
- Add cherry tomatoes, chopped garlic, salt, pepper and possibly sugar if you want to reduce the acidity of the tomatoes. Let cook for a few minutes, stirring to cook the tomatoes on all sides.
- After about 5 minutes, some of the tomatoes will start to “pop”.
- Squeeze the tomatoes with a fork to slightly crush them and let their juice run out.
- Remove from heat and add the basil. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add the spaghetti to the pan and toss the pasta with the sauce. Add a little water from the reserved cooking water to lengthen the sauce if needed. Toss to combine.
- Divide the cherry tomato spaghetti among 4 serving bowls. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
Use whatever you like for the pasta: spaghetti, linguine, fusilli, rotini, tagliatelle, rigatoni, penne, farfalle, bird tongue, lead pasta, … Whatever you have on hand! It goes with everything.
QUANTITY OF PASTA / CHERRY TOMATO SAUCE :
The amount of pasta in relation to the sauce depends on your taste. Depending on whether you like more or less sauce.
If you don’t have cherry tomatoes, use other varieties of tomatoes (e.g. Roma). Cut them into small pieces and proceed in the same way as above.
The important thing is to choose fresh, ripe, tasty tomatoes. This is the secret to making this express recipe a success.
FOR MORE FLAVOUR:
In your tomato sauce, add according to your taste :
- kalamata olives are cut into small pieces (or other varieties of pitted olives).
- marinated artichoke hearts (drained and cut into small pieces)
- 1 or 2 crushed anchovy fillets,
- Tuna in oil.
- Add fried or grilled vegetables: zucchini, eggplant, peppers, …
- Add a protein: pan-fried or grilled chicken breast, meatballs browned in olive oil, seafood (e.g., shrimp or mussels)…
- For a low-carb dish, replace some or all of the pasta with zucchini spaghetti (Zoodles) or zucchini/carrot tagliatelle.