Most cake recipes incorporate yogurt. But if we do not have this ingredient available or want to make it differently, we can eliminate it, as this recipe does.
And if the reason is that you are lactose intolerant, you can substitute the milk for lactose-free milk or more oil. The cake does not lose any juiciness or flavor.
And as a final touch, we decorate the cake with an orange glaze to enhance its citrus flavor.
Ingredients we will use:
For the cake:
- 190 gr of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 100 gr of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- the juice of 3 freshly squeezed oranges (180 ml)
- 110 ml of sunflower or mild olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5-6 tablespoons of orange zest
- Pinch of salt
For the glaze:
- 150 g powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC with the heat on both sides, and prepare a bundt pan by greasing it well. We can also use another type of mold if we do not have a bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, and salt; until well blended.
- In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients: eggs, milk, orange juice, oil, and vanilla extract; until completely blended.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and beat gently until completely combined, without overmixing.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan, taking care that the batter fills all the spaces in the bundt pan, and place in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown on the surface.
- To check if it is done, insert a toothpick in the top. If it comes out clean, it is well set. If it comes out wet or with the remains of dough, bake it for a few more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool on a rack for 10 minutes. After that time, invert and unmold, allowing it to cool completely.
To make the glaze:
- We mix all the ingredients until they are perfectly combined. The texture of the glaze can be modified by adding more or less liquid. If we want it more liquid, we can add a few more drops of orange juice.
- Pour the glaze over the cold cake and let it solidify.
Baking times may vary depending on the oven, so the best way to check if the cake is done is to insert a toothpick.