Pecan pie (also known as pecan nut pie) is an American recipe typically made on Thanksgiving Day. Yesterday I remembered this recipe that some American friends gave me years ago and shared it with you. I bought Pecans in an organic store that has just opened in my neighborhood. Still, other times when I haven’t seen them, I have substituted them for regular pecans, as they are from the same family and are quite similar. The dough is a sweet dough with eggs. If you want to buy ready-made dough, it is better to buy puff pastry than shortcrust pastry. But it is worth making it by hand because it is a different dough than what we are used to.
For the pecan pie dough
- 225gr wheat flour
- 110gr butter
- 110gr white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
For the filling
- 3 eggs
- 110gr sugar
- 5 tablespoons syrup (liquid honey can be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 175gr pecans (or walnuts)
- 50gr butter
- vanilla extract
- Make the dough, gathering all the ingredients at the same time in the food processor. It can also be done by hand. Once it is done, wrap it in transparent paper and put it in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Put the oven to preheat, temperature 200ºC.
- Spread the dough and line a greased cake pan to prevent it from sticking.
- Beat the eggs and mix with the sugar. Melt the butter and add this and the other filling ingredients, including a pinch of salt and a few drops of vanilla.