I was surprised that when I posted the pictures of my pumpkin pie on my Facebook page yesterday, many of you asked for the recipe.
And yet the sweet pumpkin pie is a classic in English and American cuisine, in fact in America, you can even find pumpkin puree in cans for a quick preparation of this dessert.
For my part, I had to prepare the pumpkin puree at home, it’s easy to do, but you have to be sure to have a not too liquid puree, to have a perfect texture pie, as you have to prepare it in advance. Now I can find this puree at Costco, so make sure to stop by either online or at the store.
When I want to make pumpkin pie for my children, I often prepare the pumpkin purée in advance, it’s very simple and easy. You cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and fibers, and put it in the oven. To prevent the pumpkin from burning, place it cut side down on the tray.
The cooking of the pumpkin will of course depend on the size of the pumpkin, you can be sure of the cooking if the point of a knife enters easily in the flesh of the pumpkin. Leave the pumpkin on a rack for a few minutes to let the pumpkin juice escape, you don’t want to have a too liquid puree, otherwise it will make you mess up any recipe.
Here in England, I don’t often find pumpkin, and when I do, I buy a lot of it. I prepare purees, which I keep in freezer bags, to make different recipes, and sometimes, I cut in small pieces, which I put in the freezer, for dishes, gratins, whatever I want.
- shortcrust pastry
- 425 gr of pumpkin puree
- 495 gr of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp of mixed spice nutmeg, cinnamon, clove powder, ginger, mix equally
- prepare the shortcrust pastry, let it rest,
- Line a 22 cm pie pan with the shortcrust pastry, or use a pan of your choice. Fill the bottom of the pie with white beans for even cooking.
- bake for 10 minutes at 175˚C revolving heat.
prepare the pumpkin puree:
- cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and fibers.
- place both halves in a foil-lined pan, cut side down.
- cook until the pumpkin is tender.
- with a spoon, remove all the skin, let drain a little of its water, before reducing in puree, let cool.
prepare the filling for the pie:
- when the pumpkin puree is cold, weigh 425 gr
- in a bowl, whisk the pumpkin puree, the sweetened condensed milk, the 2 eggs and the spices. The mixture must be homogeneous.
- Pour this mixture on the bottom of the pie.
- and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C, for at least 35 minutes.
I cover the edges of the pie with aluminum foil to not burn too much during the cooking.