What could be more comforting than a sweet maple syrup flavored chuck roast to celebrate the imminent arrival of fall? This slow-cooker recipe is perfect for flavoring up the house and giving you a treat!
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) onion powder
- 5 mL (1 tsp.) garlic powder
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) Dijon mustard
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 boneless 900 g (2 lb) beef chuck roast
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) olive oil
- 180 mL (3/4 cup) beef broth
- 80 mL (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 4 Nantes carrots, cut into pieces
- 8 new potatoes
- 1/2 small rutabaga, cut into cubes
- In a bowl, mix the onion powder with garlic powder, mustard and thyme—season with salt and pepper.
- Remove excess fat from a chuck roast.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sear chuck roast for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer roast to a plate. Brush both sides of the roast with a mustard mixture.
- Place roast in slow cooker. Add broth, maple syrup and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours, until meat flakes easily with a fork.