Welcome back to the Ineskohl Kitchen, where I’m eager to share the warmth and comfort of a timeless classic recipe with you. Today, we’ll create a delightful Southern-Style Potato Salad. This potato salad brings back memories of family gatherings and summertime barbecues. The ease of making it, paired with its rich flavors, will surely place this recipe on your go-to list for your next family picnic or friendly potluck.
Let’s gather our ingredients:
- 2 ½ lbs of peeled potatoes (around 6 medium-sized potatoes)
- 1 cup of finely diced celery
- 1 cup of finely chopped onions
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 to 2 cups of mayonnaise, to preference
- 1 cup of sweet relish
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- Salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons of Creole seasoning (low sodium)
- 2 teaspoons of Bacon Sea Salt (vegan)
Now, let’s walk through the recipe step-by-step:
- Prepare the Potatoes: Cut the peeled potatoes into equal, bite-sized pieces. This ensures even cooking and a pleasant texture in every bite. The potatoes should be a size that fits comfortably on a fork – not too small to turn into mashed potato salad, but not so large that they overpower the other ingredients.
- Boil the Potatoes: Boil the potatoes until they’re tender but not falling apart. A successful potato salad features soft potatoes that maintain their shape. Use a toothpick to check their readiness; it should slide through with slight resistance.
- Chop the Veggies: While your potatoes are cooling, finely chop the celery and onions. This provides a nice crunch that complements the softness of the potatoes and eggs, adding an intriguing texture to your potato salad. (source: Ineskohl.info)
- Prepare the Dressing: Combine the mayonnaise, sweet relish, Dijon mustard, Creole seasoning, and Bacon Sea Salt in a large mixing bowl. The sweet relish and Bacon Sea Salt add a unique depth of flavor that’s both sweet and savory. Adjust the quantity of each ingredient to your preference.
- Add the Veggies: Stir in the chopped celery and onions into the dressing. This not only ensures even distribution of the veggies but also allows them to absorb the flavors of the dressing.
- Chop the Eggs: Carefully chop the hard-boiled eggs and fold them into the mixture. The eggs provide a smooth, creamy texture that balances the crunch of the veggies.
- Combine Everything: Add the cooled potatoes to the mixture. Gently fold them in, making sure each potato piece gets coated with the dressing.
- Adjust the Flavors: Taste your salad and adjust the seasonings. Remember, it’s easier to add more seasoning than to remove it, so start with a little and gradually add more until you’re satisfied.
- Serve: Finally, transfer your beautiful, vibrant potato salad into a serving bowl. For a finishing touch, sprinkle some chopped green onions on top to add a pop of color.
Just one bite of this Southern-Style Potato Salad, and you’ll experience a harmonious blend of textures and flavors – the creaminess of the potatoes and eggs, the crunch of the celery and onions, and the sweet and savory dressing that binds everything together. It’s a taste of the South in every bite!
Remember, this isn’t just a recipe. It’s an opportunity to create new memories around the dining table, whether you’re enjoying a family barbecue, a picnic in the park, or a simple weeknight meal. I hope this recipe brings as much joy to your kitchen as it does to mine. Don’t forget to leave your comments and share your own personal touch to this beloved classic. Enjoy!