This potato salad recipe is part of traditional American cuisine and is ideal for picnics and parties with friends. A salad made with celery and red onions that add crunch to this appetizer and seasoned with an irresistible creamy mayonnaise and mustard dressing and flavored with dill.
This potato salad is my daughters’ favorite. They also like the potato salad that I prepare regularly, which is different from this one because we add tuna, corn, green olives, and egg slices.
A rich and caloric salad I grant you but tasty. The potato used is of firm flesh with a thin white skin, so we don’t need to peel it, in general, the Americans serve the potato without removing the skin, you can also use the small red potato.
You will notice that in the ingredients we use buttermilk which will help to soften the mayonnaise and bring creaminess to our seasoning, we can replace it with vegetable broth or a little vinegar, etc…
We can replace the dill with parsley, add pickles or hard-boiled eggs, there is no real recipe, do not hesitate to add a favorite vegetable or according to what you have in your fridge.
- 1 kg of small white or red potatoes (2,2 lb)
- salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- chopped fresh dill
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ chopped red onion
- Place whole potatoes in a large, deep pot and cover with water, adding 2 tablespoons of salt.
- Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are barely tender when a knife is inserted.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander, then cover with a clean, dry cloth. Leave the potatoes to steam for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the creamy sauce by pouring the mayonnaise into a small bowl.
- Add buttermilk and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the Dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, dill, 1 teaspoon of salt (if you are using it personally I did not add it), and black pepper.
- When the potatoes are warm enough to handle, cut them into quarters or halves (depending on their size).
- Place potatoes in a large bowl.
- While potatoes are still warm, pour mayonnaise sauce over them to moisten.
- Add celery and red onion and season with pepper.
- Mix well, cover with cling film and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the salad to soak up the seasoning.
- Serve the potato salad cold or at room temperature.
I use an American measuring glass 1 cup = 240 ml