Biscuits and gravy is a classic southern breakfast dish that has been enjoyed for generations. The combination of fluffy biscuits and savory sausage gravy is a match made in heaven.
The biscuits are made with simple ingredients such as flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, shortening, and milk, while the gravy is made with ground breakfast sausage, flour, milk, salt, and pepper.
The key to making perfect biscuits is to not overwork the dough, while for the gravy, it’s all about getting the right balance of fat, flour, and milk to achieve the desired consistency.
Biscuits and gravy is a hearty and filling breakfast that will keep you satisfied all morning. Whether you’re a southerner or not, you’re sure to love this classic breakfast dish!
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/3 cup of vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1 pound of ground breakfast sausage
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Use a whisk to combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the vegetable shortening to the dry mixture and use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the shortening until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Gradually pour in the milk while stirring with a wooden spoon until the dough forms a ball. (Source: Ineskohl.info)
- Dust a flat surface with flour and transfer the dough onto it. Knead the dough for 15-20 times until smooth.
- Using a biscuit cutter or a round cup, cut out 9-10 biscuits and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake the biscuits for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, brown the breakfast sausage in a skillet over medium heat.
- If the sausage releases a lot of greases, drain most of it, but leave some for added flavor.
- Add the flour to the skillet and whisk it around for a minute until all the meat is coated.
- Gradually pour in the milk while stirring continuously with a whisk until the gravy thickens.
- Season the gravy with salt and black pepper to your liking.
- When the biscuits are done, transfer them to a serving plate and pour the warm sausage gravy over them.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your delicious fluffy biscuits and savory sausage gravy!
Note: You can adjust the thickness of the gravy by adding more or less milk, depending on your preference.
In conclusion, biscuits and gravy is a comforting and delicious breakfast dish that has stood the test of time. It’s a staple in southern cuisine, but its popularity has spread throughout the country, and for a good reason. The combination of fluffy biscuits and savory sausage gravy is the perfect start to any day, and it’s a dish that is sure to warm your soul.
While there are many variations of this classic dish, the key is to use quality ingredients, and not to overwork the dough or the gravy. So, the next time you’re in the mood for a hearty breakfast, give biscuits and gravy a try, and you won’t be disappointed!