American pancakes are easy dishes that we love to make for breakfast or, why not, for an afternoon snack or even for dinner if we don’t care too much about calories.
The best thing about making American pancakes is that you can serve them with anything you can think of, and they will always, always look good.
Besides, it is a quick recipe to make that accepts variations in its ingredients, for example, substituting part of the wheat flour for another type of flour such as rye, oat, or spelled.
You can make oat pancakes.
One secret for you to make unbeatable fluffy pancakes: baking powder. There’s a big difference between leavening them or not.
AMERICAN PANCAKES RECIPE
It would be best to use an excellent Teflon pan so that the mixture doesn’t stick when it’s cooking.
It is also essential that you don’t get distracted and let the pancakes burn.
- 1 cup of wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1 glass of milk
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (optional)
- Put all the ingredients together in a medium bowl and mix well with an electric hand mixer.
- You can also put everything in a glass blender. The result will be the same, and well, it is faster.
- You should be left with a slightly thick mixture but easy to stir with a spoon. If you need to thicken or water down the mix, you can add more milk or flour as needed.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, preferably Teflon, and add a drop of oil or a little butter.
- Take a soup spoon and use it as a measure. 1 spoon = 1 pancake.
- Fill your soup spoon with the flour, egg, and milk mixture and carefully pour it into the pan, making sure it is distributed in a circular pattern.
- Let it cook until you start to see bubbles forming. This is the sign that it is already cooked on one side.
- With the help of a spatula, flip your pancake and let it cook on the other side for no more than 2 minutes.
- Remove your pancake and place it on a plate.
- Repeat the same process and stack all your pancakes one on top of the other; this helps them keep the heat.
Once ready, take them to the table and let everyone serve theirs with honey, syrup, Nutella, or whatever you want.
If you have a leftover mixture, you can refrigerate it in the fridge for a couple of days without any problems. And if you cooked some extra, you can also keep it for a couple of days without any issues. Just heat them in a pan, don’t use the microwave oven.
IDEAS TO ACCOMPANY HOMEMADE PANCAKES
Once they’re done, you can get super creative and pair your pancakes with just about anything you can think of. Here are a few ideas:
Bees honey: nutritious and delicious, one of the best ways to pair homemade pancakes.
Maple syrup: possibly the most popular way to eat them. Suppose it is Canadian maple, all the better!
Peanut butter: I bet you didn’t think of that!
Strawberries: one of my favorite fruits to eat in pancakes. You mix them with maple syrup, and it’s even more delicious.
Kiwis: just like strawberries, the characteristic flavor of kiwi contrasts very well.
Bananas or plantains: the same as with strawberries, put syrup on them to magnify their flavor
Marmalade: very traditional; try adding fruit or even nuts.
Butter: a bit basic, but it never hurts, especially mixed with other additives.
Nutella: Aaaaaaaaahaha, we are talking about a higher level! I have nothing else to tell you but to go for it!
Bacon: not all pancakes have to be accompanied by something sweet. Bacon goes well with everything.
Cheese: use some sliced cheese, but also fresh cheese.
All of the above together