This recipe can be prepared with any nut, with any liquid sweetener, since the sugar mentioned in the recipe is to be added at the end for presentation, so you can skip it.
- 2 cups pecans (or nut of choice)
- 1/4 cup maple or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses or agave honey
- 2 tablespoons brown cane sugar or dark palm sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Prepare the candied nuts by mixing the ingredients in a bowl and then transferring them to a paper and cookie sheet.
- Take them to the oven on the middle rack and bake them for ten minutes.
- Remove them, sprinkle them with cane sugar, let them cool and keep them in the fridge if necessary, or use them in the refrigerator.
- or use them in your favorite recipe.
I always liked the caramelized nuts served in Chinese restaurants, these are usually accompanied by cream, I found them curious, crunchy and very tasty. But as lately, and after the last experience in the Indian restaurant in Catral I hardly trust going to eat anywhere, much less to a Chinese restaurant, so I make at home my favorite Asian recipes among which are the chicken with almonds, rice three delights or these caramelized nuts.
These nuts can be used for a dessert, an appetizer, to decorate a cake or any other preparation. The only downside that I see to this type of recipes is that they are pure vice, and it is that to stop eating is a little difficult when you start, but you have to try and make them at home, you will see how soon you will repeat.
- 200gr peeled walnuts
- 250gr sugar
- 150gr water
- Oil for frying
caramelized walnuts preparation
- Peel (in case they are not) and clean the walnuts a little, remove any shells or impurities that may remain, put the water to boil with the sugar stirring constantly, when this breaks to boil add the walnuts, let boil for about ten minutes in the mixture, when the syrup becomes a more golden color remove the nuts with a slotted spoon and let them drain.
- While they drain the excess of syrup, heat abundant oil in a frying pan and when the oil is very hot, fry the walnuts, the result will be much better if we do them in batches, they should not be long in the oil because they turn black, turn and turn and remove them with the help of a skimmer, we put them on paper towels or on a colander.
- As the walnuts cool down they harden and can be taken without sticking to our fingers, with this recipe we get loose and crunchy caramelized walnuts.