Ingredients to make a Lemon Meringue Pie
For the crust of the Pie:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1 pinch of salt or baking powder
For the lemon cream:
- 500 milliliters of water
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 6 1/4 tablespoons of sugar
- 5 egg yolks
For the meringue:
- 5 egg whites
- ¾ cup of grams of sugar
How to make lemon meringue pie:
- Get all the ingredients ready to prepare the lemon meringue pie. We have chosen to make the homemade shortcrust pastry, but you can always buy it already made and skip this step.
- To make the dough, form a volcano with the flour and place in the center the butter at room temperature, the sugar, the egg yolks, and the lemon zest. Mix and knead until a homogeneous dough is formed. Then let it rest in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC. In the meantime, grease a 26 cm diameter mold, stretch and place the dough in the base. To prevent it from rising, place some weight on top, such as chickpeas, and bake the dough for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to continue with the lemon meringue pie.
- To make the lemon filling, warm the water in a saucepan, add the cornstarch and the sugar dissolved in the juice of the two lemons. Cook over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- When the mixture begins to thicken, add the egg yolks and the zest of the lemons and continue stirring.
- It is very important to stir constantly until the filling acquires a thick, cream-like texture. When it is ready, remove the preparation from the heat.
- Prepare the Swiss meringue by beating the egg whites and gradually adding the sugar while whisking. To obtain stiff peaks, we recommend using electric beaters or a mixer since it is necessary to beat vigorously with manual beaters. To make it smoother, use icing or powdered sugar.
- Once ready, fill the pie with the lemon cream first and then spread the meringue.
- Bake the lemon pie until the meringue is golden brown on top, at 180 ºC. Let it cool and set aside in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This lemon pie with meringue is very easy to make and delicious, go ahead and prepare it!