Take your cabbage from bland to grand with these easy roasted cabbage steaks! By roasting cabbage wedges drizzled in olive oil and spices, you coax out its natural sweetness for a delicious low-carb side. The onions caramelize to add sweet depth, while the red pepper flakes provide a little kick.
The method transforms standard cabbage into a tasty vegetable worthy of center stage. It’s all the flavor of fried cabbage without the extra fat and calories.
These roasted cabbage steaks make an ideal accompaniment for any type of meat. The smoky spices even complement barbecue flavors beautifully. Unlike boiled or sautéed cabbage, roasting gives such rich, intoxicating taste and texture.
Once you try roasted cabbage steaks, you may never go back to your old cabbage recipes! The preparation is simple, yet the flavor is sublime.
Can I use different types of cabbage?
Yes! Green cabbage, red cabbage, savoy cabbage would all work well. Just adjust cooking times as needed.
How thick should I cut the cabbage steaks?
Aim for around 1 inch thick. Thinner steaks may cook faster while thicker ones can get too crunchy on the outside before cooking through.
Can I roast the cabbage steaks without onions?
Absolutely. The onion provides extra flavor but you can omit if preferred. Some extra virgin olive oil will help the spices stick.
What if my cabbage steaks aren’t cooking evenly?
Leafier parts may brown quicker than denser parts. Tent foil over steaks if browning too fast while finishing cooking.
The cabbage tasted too bitter, what did I do wrong?
Overcooking can bring out bitterness in cabbage. For tender, sweet cabbage, pull it at 20 minutes before it gets too brown.
My cabbage steaks got mushy, now what?
If cabbage is overcooked and falling apart, chop up leftovers to add to fried rice, egg or potato scrambles.
What beverage pairs well with cabbage steaks?
A light white wine like Sauvignon Blanc or a wheat beer would match nicely with roasted cabbage’s caramelized flavors.
How long do leftovers last?
Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat gently before serving again.
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 small onion
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage. Slice the cabbage into 1-inch thick steaks. Discard any uneven pieces or small leaves.
- Thinly slice the onion into rounds. You will need about 4 slices per cabbage steak.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the cabbage steaks flat on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle both sides of the cabbage steaks with olive oil. Use your hands or a brush to coat them evenly.
- Sprinkle the kosher salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika evenly over both sides of the cabbage steaks. Gently pat the seasonings into the cabbage. ( Source: Ineskohl.info)
- Flip the cabbage steaks over and repeat seasoning the other side.
- Place an onion slice on top of each cabbage steak.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cabbage is tender when pierced with a knife. The thinner steaks may cook faster than the thicker ones.
- Remove from oven and serve hot, garnished with extra crushed red pepper flakes if desired. Goes well with smoked meat.
- Garnish the cabbage steaks with extra crushed red pepper flakes for a spicier kick.
- Serve alongside your favorite protein like smoked chicken wings, pork chops, or sausages. The smoky spices on the cabbage will mirror the flavors.
- For extra richness, drizzle with a tangy vinaigrette or creamy sauce after roasting.
- Leftover steaks can be chopped up and added to fried rice or scrambled eggs.
- Substitute different spices like cumin, chili powder, or Italian herbs to change up the flavor profile.
- Roasting brings out the cabbage’s natural sweetness, so it pairs well with tart or tangy flavors.
Enjoy your healthy and delicious roasted cabbage steaks! The caramelized onion and spices give a sweet and smoky flavor. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Let me know if you need any other details! I’m happy to provide more tips for this simple yet show-stopping roasted cabbage recipe.