Thanksgiving dinner would not be complete without this cornbread dressing, which, in addition to turkey and pumpkin pie, can’t be missing from the table this holiday season. There are different ways and ingredients to prepare it, but the ones you will see below are a must for your dressing to have the best flavor.
Cornbread dressing, also known as cornbread stuffing, is a traditional dish often served as a side during Thanksgiving and other holidays in the southern United States. It is made by mixing crumbled cornbread with diced vegetables, such as onions, celery, and bell peppers, and broth or stock. The mixture is then baked in the oven until it is heated through and the top is crispy and golden brown. Some variations may also include ingredients such as sausage, bacon, nuts, herbs, and spices. Cornbread dressing is a savory and flavorful addition to any holiday meal and can be enjoyed by itself or used as a stuffing for turkey or other poultry.
Difficulty level: Moderate
Ingredients for the cornbread dressing
- 1 cornbread
- 4 slices of box bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cups water
- 2/3 cups celery
- 2/3 cup onion
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
How to prepare
- Preheat the oven to 200°.
- In a baking dish, crumble the cornbread perfectly without leaving bread balls.
- Cut the box bread into regular cubes and place it on top of the cornbread. Add the sage and salt, ideally leave to stand overnight, or dry in the oven while preheating to dry the bread.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan. Place the chopped celery and onion; when they crystallize, add the water.
- Let the water boil for five minutes and remove it from the heat. Then pour the liquid over the bread cubes.
- Stir and add the hot chicken broth.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl (make sure there are no shells) and add the milk. Pour the mixture into the bowl with the bread.
- Stir the ingredients perfectly and add a little pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- When the topping surface is golden brown, remove it from the oven and stand for another 10 minutes.
- Tip to give a sweet touch to the dressing
- Cook two carrots chopped in regular squares, remove the excess water, and add them to the bread before putting the baking dish in the oven.