Cowboy Caviar is the ultimate party appetizer! This fresh black bean salsa is a crowd-pleasing mixture of colorful vegetables, protein-packed beans, and the creaminess of avocado – all bathed in a sweet and tangy Italian dressing lime juice mixture. Every crunchy, juicy bite packs a punch of Southwestern flavor that will have your guests begging for the recipe.
This easy black bean salsa comes together in just 20 minutes but tastes like you spent all day preparing it. Simply dice up tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, cilantro and jalapenos for a tasty, fiber-filled base. Protein-rich black beans and vitamin-packed corn add extra nutrition to keep you fueled, while the avocado brings that coveted creaminess to balance each bite. But the real star ingredient is the Italian dressing and lime juice, which soaks into the vegetables and transforms them into the juiciest, most irresistible salsa you’ve ever tried. Trust me, once you stir everything together and get a taste, you’ll be hooked!
What kind of Italian dressing should I use?
Any Italian dressing will work well such as a bottled Italian vinaigrette or homemade Italian dressing. We used a zesty Italian made with olive oil and red wine vinegar.
Can I prepare this salsa in advance?
Yes! You can prepare the salsa up to 2-3 days in advance. Store it covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Let it come to room temperature or give it a quick stir before serving for maximum flavor.
How long will this salsa last?
It will last 2-3 days stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The flavors may start to diminish after that time. It’s best served fresh.
What chips go best with this Cowboy Caviar?
This black bean salsa pairs deliciously with lightly salted tortilla chips or corn chips. Pita or bagel chips also make excellent dippers for this chunky vegetable salsa. You can also skip the chips and enjoy it as a salad topper or taco filling.
- 6 roma tomatoes, diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 bell pepper (green or red), diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- 15 oz (398g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, chopped (about 1⁄2 cup)
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 15 oz (284g) can corn kernels, drained
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1⁄2 cup Italian dressing
- Dice the tomatoes and transfer to a large mixing bowl. You’ll need space to mix everything.
- Dice the bell pepper and onion. Add them to the bowl.
- Prepare the jalapenos by slicing them into strips lengthwise. Remove the stems and scrape out the seeds. Finally, dice the pepper and set aside for now.
- Peel, pit and dice the avocado. Transfer to the bowl.
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Add them to the bowl along with the corn.
- Chop the cilantro and add it the bowl.
- Add the lime juice, minced garlic, Italian dressing and salt. Stir well until fully combined.
- Add the diced jalapenos and gently fold them in. Recipe by Ineskohl.info
- Taste and adjust salt or lime juice if needed.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips or enjoy as a salad topper or taco filling. This salsa tastes best fresh but will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Tips for making delicious Cowboy Caviar:
- Choose perfectly ripe avocados. You want the avocados slightly soft but not overly mushy. The rich creaminess of the avocado is key for balancing the flavors.
- Don’t skip seeding the jalapeños if you want a milder salsa. For less heat, be sure to remove the ribs and seeds first before dicing them up. You can always add more if you like spicy!
- Make sure to drain and rinse the canned beans and corn to prevent a slimy texture. Then let them drip dry so they don’t water down the salsa.
- Stir gently to avoid mashing the avocado and vegetables. You want to maintain all those delicious fresh chunks and crunch!
- Customize the flavors to your taste. Add more lime juice and salt for extra zing or increase the garlic and cilantro for deeper flavor. The possibilities are endless once you master the base recipe!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
130 calories, 7g fat, 45mg sodium, 16g carbs, 4g protein
Cowboy Caviar is such a fresh, delicious salsa loaded with good-for-you ingredients. The secret ingredient – Italian dressing – makes this black bean salsa incredibly juicy and flavorful. Paired with crunchy corn and creamy avocado, it’s simply irresistible!