When the summer heat becomes too intense for cooking outdoors, this indoor Butter Fried Chicken Greek Salad is the perfect solution. Crispy, golden chicken breasts are pan-fried in aromatic browned butter before being sliced and served atop a refreshing salad packed with vegetables and feta cheese.
The crispy panko coating on the chicken crackles as you bite into each tender piece of chicken. Underneath lies succulent, butter-basted meat with herbs and spices baked right in. This flavorful chicken is the ideal topping for a medley of diced cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and bell peppers. Mixed with crumbled feta, zesty oregano, olive oil and fresh lemon juice, each bite of this salad delights the senses with flavors that are equally rich, bright and savory. With minimal prep time and completely stovetop preparation, this easy summer dinner recipe comes together quickly while still delivering restaurant worthy texture and taste you’ll crave all season long.
Can I use olive oil instead of butter to fry the chicken?
We don’t recommend frying the chicken in olive oil. The butter is key for getting that rich flavor and golden brown crust on the chicken.
What type of feta cheese works best?
A good quality feta is best. Look for Greek feta packed in brine, avoid feta packed in oil. French or Bulgarian feta also works well.
Can I grill or bake the chicken instead of frying?
For this recipe, pan-frying in butter is recommended to get that crispy texture. But as a variation, you could brush chicken with olive oil, season as directed, and grill until golden and cooked through.
What if I don’t want panko breadcrumbs?
Regular dried breadcrumbs can be substituted. The texture won’t be quite as crispy, but it will still be delicious.
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3-4 boneles, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons Italian badilla seasoning mix (basil, oregano, chili flakes)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- For the Salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon (around 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Melt the 1 pound of butter in a 3-4 quart straight sided pan over medium heat. Allow it to come to a simmer so the milk solids foam and the water evaporates out, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chicken. In a small bowl, mix together the Italian seasoning and panko breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a shallow dish. Place the flour in another shallow dish and season generously with the salt and pepper.
- One at a time, dredge the chicken breasts in the flour, dip in the egg, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing so it adheres well.
- When the butter is foamy and golden brown, add the chicken breasts and fry for 5-6 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through (12 minutes total for thick breasts). Recipe by Ineskohl.info
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a wire rack set over paper towels. Tent loosely with foil and let rest while you prepare the salad.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, cucumber, feta cheese and oregano. Drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice and toss until evenly coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide the salad between plates or bowls. Slice the chicken into strips and place on top of each salad. Enjoy!
- Be sure your chicken breasts are pounded to an even thickness before breading. This ensures even cooking.
- Fry the chicken in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan. Overcrowding leads to steaming instead of frying.
- Check the chicken’s internal temp with an instant-read thermometer to guarantee doneness before removing from oil. It should register 165°F.
- Serve this salad family-style in a large bowl for a fun, casual dinner. Let everyone dig into the crispy chicken and fresh veggies!
- To make the salad a full meal, add grains like brown rice, wheat berries or quinoa.
- Swap in whatever seasonal veggies you have – zucchini and spinach would be tasty additions!
For a bright, fresh Greek-inspired salad, this Butter Fried Chicken adds a decadent crunch. Fry up crispy panko-coated chicken breasts in browned butter for maximum flavor and richness before slicing and serving over a classic salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and tangy feta cheese. The hot chicken paired with the cool vegetables and lemon dressing makes for a perfect summer meal.