Even though summer has left us and the weather is cooling off, there is something about this easy dessert that mentally takes us back to the beautiful warm days. Sometimes we don’t feel like making complicated things that take a lot of time. So we help ourselves with easy ingredients. But, of course, you can always make everything homemade with the time involved. This beautiful dessert is colorful, inviting, and refreshing. A beautiful cherry trifle prepared with a pure butter four cake (you could also have an angel food cake). The cake is layered with vanilla pudding, cherry pie filling, and whipped cream. You can make this cake in a square pan or a verrine any time of year with the pie filling of your choice.
- 1 Sara Lee 304 g pure butter pound cake, frozen
- 1 can Jell-O Vanilla Pudding Mix, instant
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or 15% cream
- 1 can cherry pie filling, divided
- 473 mL 35% cream, whipping
- 3 tbsp. powdered sugar
- Topping of your choice: nuts, chocolate, etc.
- In a bowl, combine pudding mix, milk, and yogurt (or cream) and beat until smooth. Set aside.
- Cut pound cake into 12 slices.
- Cut the first six slices into cubes and spread an even layer in a dish (8 X 8 inches), and cover with 2/3 of the pie filling on the cake.
- Cut remaining six slices into cubes and cover with pie filling.
- Pour the pudding mixture over the cake and spread evenly.
- Spread whipped cream over pudding layer, then top with remaining pie filling. Top with the topping of your choice.
- Place dish in the refrigerator and let sit for at least 4-5 hours.