Savor the festive season with Ineskohl Kitchen’s delightful Holiday Stuffing Balls recipe. Perfectly crispy on the outside with a moist and flavorful inside, these stuffing balls combine classic holiday herbs with a touch of mushroom richness. Prepare ahead and serve as a party snack or a side dish for your festive feast.
- 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped (roughly 4 small stalks)
- 5 cups dried store-bought breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 can (about 14 oz.) cream of mushroom soup (or your choice of condensed soup)
- Preparation: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease an oven-safe baking dish and set aside.
- Saute Vegetables: In a pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once foamy, add in the chopped onion and celery. Stir the veggies to coat them in the butter and sauté until the celery softens, and the onion turns translucent.
- Cooling: Remove the pan from the heat and let the vegetable mixture cool for a few minutes.
- Mixing the Stuffing: In a large mixing bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, dried sage, dried thyme, fresh parsley, salt, and freshly cracked black pepper. Stir well to mix the ingredients. Add the cooled onion mixture and the cream of mushroom soup. Combine everything thoroughly until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Forming the Balls: Dampen your hands with water to prevent sticking. Take a handful of the stuffing mixture and shape it into balls roughly the size of a meatball. Place them in the prepared baking dish.
- Baking: Cover the baking dish with foil. Transfer it to the preheated oven and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Cool & Serve: Once baked, remove the stuffing balls from the oven. Let them stand for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy the herby and savory flavors of these delightful stuffing balls!
Tip: These stuffing balls can be prepared in advance. After forming the balls, cover them with cling film and refrigerate for up to two days. Take them out of the fridge 30 minutes before baking.
- Serve these stuffing balls with a side of cranberry sauce or gravy for a richer flavor.
- If hosting a holiday party, consider skewering these balls with toothpicks for easier handling and serving as appetizers.
- These stuffing balls pair wonderfully with roasted meats like turkey, chicken, or ham.
- Leftover stuffing balls can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place them in a preheated oven at 325°F (163°C) for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.
- If you’re not a fan of mushroom, feel free to substitute the cream of mushroom soup with cream of chicken or celery soup.
- For a spicy kick, consider adding a finely chopped jalapeño or a dash of red pepper flakes to the mixture.
- Cheese lovers can add grated Parmesan or cheddar to the mixture for a cheesy twist.
- These stuffing balls are a source of fiber from the breadcrumbs and provide vitamins and minerals from the celery, onion, and herbs. However, remember to consume them in moderation as part of a balanced meal, especially if you’re watching your carb intake.
Whether you’re looking for a twist on the traditional stuffing or searching for the perfect holiday appetizer, these stuffing balls are sure to be a hit. Their delicious flavor, combined with the ease of preparation and flexibility in serving, makes them a top pick for the holiday season. Dive into the world of delectable recipes with more offerings from Ineskohl Kitchen.