This homemade Mexican cheese dip is smooth, gooey, and loaded with flavor. Diced white American cheese gives it that nostalgic movie theater nacho cheese vibe. The garlic powder and chopped green chilies add a tasty kick. Warm, melty cheese dip is irresistible – be prepared to go back for seconds and thirds!
What type of white American cheese should I use?
Look for deli-style white American cheese. Land O’Lakes is a good brand. Avoid individually wrapped cheese slices.
Can I use different chilies?
Yes, you can use canned diced green chilies or jalapeños instead. Adjust the amount to your desired spice level.
Is this dip vegetarian?
Yes, as written this Mexican cheese dip contains no meat products.
Can I prepare it in a slow cooker?
Absolutely! Combine the ingredients in a slow cooker, cover, and cook on low, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 hours.
How long does it keep refrigerated?
Store leftovers in an airtight container up to 5 days.
- 8 oz (225g) white American cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup (120ml) whole milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp chopped green chilies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the white American cheese into small cubes. Place the diced cheese into a medium saucepan.
- Add the milk to the saucepan. Start heating the cheese and milk over medium heat, stirring frequently until the cheese begins to melt.
- Once the cheese begins to melt, add the garlic powder, chopped green chilies, salt, and pepper. Continue stirring until the cheese is completely melted and smooth.
- Bring the cheese dip to a gentle simmer, allowing it to thicken slightly. Be careful not to let it boil.
- Once thick and creamy, remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Transfer the hot cheese dip to a bowl and serve immediately with tortilla chips, vegetables, or bread for dipping.
- Enjoy! This restaurant-worthy queso is perfect for game days, parties, or any time you need a rich and flavorful cheese dip.
- For a smoother dip, use a food processor or blender to finely chop the chilies.
- For added richness, stir in 1-2 Tbsp cream cheese after heating.
- For extra flavor, add diced tomatoes, salsa verde, or cumin.
- Garnish with sliced jalapeños, cilantro, or green onion.
- Serve with tortilla chips, pretzels, or fresh cut vegetables.
- To reheat, add milk or cream a little at a time until smooth and creamy.
Let me know if you give this easy restaurant copycat recipe a try. I’d love to hear how it turns out. And don’t forget the chips for dipping!