I’m thrilled to share with you today a quick, tasty recipe perfect for weeknights or lazy weekends. We’re whipping up a scrumptious Mexican Beef and Rice Skillet meal, all prepared in a single skillet, so less washing up afterward. My favorite kind of meal, don’t you agree?
- 1 medium Onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 medium Green Bell Pepper, finely diced
- 1.5 lbs Ground Beef
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 packet or 3 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Beef Broth
- 14 oz can Diced Tomatoes (juice included)
- 14 oz can Corn Kernels, drained
- 1 cup Uncooked Long Grain White Rice (Basmati is recommended)
- 2.5 cups Beef Broth
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese (of your preference)
- Fresh Parsley for garnish (optional)
Alright, let’s get cooking!
- First off, grab your skillet. Make sure it’s deep enough to accommodate all our ingredients.
- Pour in 1 tbsp of avocado oil and add 1 tbsp of butter. Light up your stove to medium-high heat.
- Begin with chopping your green pepper and onion into small pieces. You want these to cook quickly, so make sure they’re finely diced.
- Once the oil and butter mix starts sizzling, add the diced green pepper into the skillet.
- Add your onions next, followed by a sprinkle of about 1/8 tsp of salt and an equal amount of black pepper. This helps kickstart the flavor process.
- After stirring for a bit, add 2 tsp of minced garlic. Let it cook for about a minute to unlock the garlic’s fragrance.
- Now, add in your ground beef. Use a meat chopper or any other tool to break the meat down into smaller pieces while it browns. Make sure to cook until it’s no longer pink.
- Next, it’s taco seasoning time. You can use a store-bought packet or prepare your own. Whichever you choose, add about 3 tablespoons of it to the skillet and stir well.
- If you find excess grease in your skillet, you can use a few paper towels to soak it up. This keeps the dish from becoming too greasy.
- Pour in a 1/4 cup of beef broth (or water) and stir everything well to ensure the beef is well-flavored.
- Now, add in a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, juice and all. Following that, add a similar amount (14 oz) of drained whole kernel corn.
- It’s time to add the rice. Add a cup of uncooked long grain white rice. Basmati works beautifully.
- Finally, pour in 2.5 cups of beef broth. Stir everything together and increase the heat to bring the mix to a boil.
- Once it boils, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the skillet with a lid, and let it cook for 20-25 minutes. Make sure the rice is thoroughly cooked and tender before you remove it from heat.
- Remove the lid, and sprinkle 2 cups of your favorite shredded cheese over the top.
- Replace the lid and let it sit for a bit to allow the cheese to melt and the flavors to marry.
- For a touch of freshness, sprinkle some parsley over the top. If you prefer cilantro, that works too.
There you have it! Serve your Mexican Beef and Rice Skillet straight from the pan with a side of tortilla chips or just a simple fork. Feel free to top it with sour cream, diced tomatoes, or anything else you’d typically pair with a taco. Enjoy!
Did you try this recipe? Let me know your thoughts by leaving a comment below. Don’t forget to share this post if you loved the recipe. Happy cooking, everyone!