This decadent no-bake eggnog cream pie is the perfect holiday dessert. It has a rich, spiced eggnog filling set in a crisp graham cracker crust and topped with sweet whipped cream and a hint of nutmeg. The surprise ingredient is cookie butter, which enhances the pie’s holiday flavor. Enjoy this easy pie that needs no baking yet still captures all the essence of the season.
What is cookie butter?
Cookie butter is a delicious spread made from grounded speculoos cookies (European spiced shortbread cookies). It has a consistency similar to peanut butter but has warm spices like cinnamon, clove, cardamom, and nutmeg. It’s addictively delicious!
What if I don’t have cookie butter? Can I substitute something else?
If you don’t have cookie butter, you can substitute an equal amount of peanut butter or another nut butter instead. While it won’t have quite the same flavor, it will still taste great.
Is the pie no-bake? Why or why not?
Yes, this pie filling and crust are made without any baking. The graham cracker crust sets up in the pie pan after cooling, and the eggnog cream filling firms up in the fridge overnight by chilling rather than baking. So it’s a shortcut holiday pie with maximum flavor!
Does the crust need to be pre-baked?
I recommend pre-baking the graham cracker crust for 12-15 minutes before adding the filling. This helps set the crust so it stays crisp and holds together once filled. Skipping this step may result in a soggy bottom crust.
How long does the pie need to chill before serving?
You’ll want to chill the pie for at least 4 hours once assembled, but preferably overnight. This allows the filling to set completely so you can slice beautiful neat wedges of pie that hold their shape.
What can I garnish the pie with?
The pie is delicious with just simple whipped cream and nutmeg. But you can also sprinkle crushed graham crackers, ground cinnamon, additional whipped cream, chocolate shavings, crushed candy canes, or chocolate cookie crumbs for extra festive flair if desired!
For the crust:
- 9 ounces graham crackers (about 17 whole crackers), crushed into fine crumbs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
For the filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup cookie butter
- 1 cup store-bought eggnog
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold heavy cream
For the whipped cream topping:
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Make the Crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch pie pan with parchment paper, allowing overhang on the edges.
- Pulse graham crackers in a food processor until they become fine crumbs, then transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in melted butter and sugar until evenly moistened.
- Press crumb mixture firmly into the prepared pie pan, using your fingertips or the flat bottom of a measuring cup to tightly pack it across the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Make the Filling
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Mix in cookie butter until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Add eggnog and mix until fully blended and no streaks remain.
- In a separate bowl, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into eggnog mixture until fully incorporated.
- Spread filling evenly into cooled pie crust. Use an offset spatula to smooth the top.
- Cover pie tightly and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to overnight until set.
Make the Whipped Cream Topping
- Before serving, use a hand mixer to whip together heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream over the top of the chilled pie.
- Create decorative swirls in the whipped cream using a spoon or piping tip. Sprinkle lightly with freshly grated nutmeg.
- Slice and serve chilled. Store any leftovers covered in the refrigerator.
- Be sure cream cheese is fully softened to room temperature before mixing to avoid lumps in the filling.
- Use ice cold bowls and beaters when whipping cream for maximum volume.
- For best flavor, refrigerate the assembled pie overnight before slicing.
- Garnish with extra cookie butter if desired!
Enjoy this easy, decadent pie! The eggnog filling is perfectly spiced and rich, while the graham cracker crust provides a bit of texture. Let me know if you have any other questions!