This crowd-pleasing 7 layer dip has it all – beans, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, cheese, olives and green onions layered to perfection. Serve with tortilla chips for the ultimate game day or party snack.
How long does 7 layer dip last in the fridge?
- It will keep well for 3-4 days covered in the refrigerator. The vegetables may get soggy over time.
Can I prepare 7 layer dip in advance?
- Yes! Each layer can be prepped 1-2 days in advance. Layer in a dish up to 6 hours before serving. Top with green onions just before serving.
What kind of beans work best?
- Refried pinto beans are classic, but you can use refried black beans or a vegetarian variety instead. Mash regular beans with seasoning to make your own.
Do I need to use all 7 layers?
- While 7 ingredients make a stunning dip, you don’t have to use them all. Pick your 3-5 favorite ingredients to create your own signature version.
What goes well with 7 layer dip?
- It’s perfect served with tortilla chips, but try it with baked pita chips, crackers, sliced bell peppers or cucumber slices for dipping too.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Chill Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 servings
- 15 oz can refried beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-4 tablespoons water or chicken broth, if needed
- 16 oz homemade or store-bought guacamole
Sour Cream Layer
- 16 oz sour cream
- 16 oz salsa, jarred recommended
- 8 oz shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- 4 oz sliced black olives
Green Onion Layer
- 1⁄2 bunch green onions, sliced
- In a medium bowl, mix together the refried beans, salt, cumin and cayenne pepper. Add water or broth if the beans seem dry. Mix well until combined.
- Spread the seasoned bean mixture evenly across the bottom of a 1.5 quart baking dish.
- Layer the guacamole evenly over the beans, spreading to the edges of the dish. This helps prevent the guacamole from turning brown.
- Spread the sour cream in an even layer over the guacamole.
- Pour the salsa over the sour cream and spread in an even layer. For best results, use a thicker, jarred salsa rather than a thin, fresh salsa.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the salsa.
- Layer the sliced olives over the cheese. Add more or less to taste.
- Top with the sliced green onions for the final layer.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve chilled with tortilla chips and enjoy!
- Feel free to customize each layer to your tastes. For example, use black beans instead of refried beans, substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream, or use your favorite salsa.
- Make the bean layer up to 3 days in advance for the best flavor. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
- Let the assembled dip sit for at least 1 hour in the fridge before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Mix up the layer order by adding ingredients like diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, corn salsa or extra cheese.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, chili powder or diced red onion for extra flavor and texture.
Make this dip your own by customizing it with ingredients you love. Find more layer dip ideas and hundreds of amazing recipes on our website.