This 5 ingredient orange fluff salad recipe combines sweet orange gelatin, fluffy whipped topping and creamy cottage cheese studded with mandarin oranges and mini marshmallows. It’s light, dreamy and completely addicting!
This light and airy orange fluff salad is the perfect dessert to bring to a potluck or backyard cookout. Made with just 5 simple ingredients including whipped topping, orange gelatin, cottage cheese, mandarin oranges and mini marshmallows, it comes together in just minutes. The unique combination of flavors and textures makes this salad completely addicting!
What type of whipped topping works best?
Use a frozen whipped topping that thaws to a light, fluffy texture. Sweetened whipped cream can also be used. Stay away from non-dairy or lighter whipped toppings as they may not set up properly.
Can I use yogurt instead of whipped topping?
It’s best to stick with whipped topping or whipped cream in this recipe. The airy, cloud-like texture is important. Yogurt would make it more dense.
Why cottage cheese?
I know it may sound strange, but the small curds of cottage cheese are key for the unique creamy yet fluffy texture. Many classic “fluff” salad recipes call for cottage cheese. The orange gelatin and other ingredients help mask the cottage cheese flavor.
What if I can’t find small curd?
You can use large curd cottage cheese. You may just have slightly larger pieces, but it will taste just as good!
What orange gelatin should I use?
You can find orange gelatin in the baking aisle in a boxed mix (like Jell-O). Use a standard (not sugar free) orange flavor for the best consistency.
How far in advance can I make this?
You can prepare the full recipe 1-2 days in advance. Just store it covered in the fridge until ready to serve.
How long will the fluff salad keep?
It will last for 3-4 days stored in a covered container in the refrigerator. After that, the cottage cheese may start to weep liquid so the texture declines.
Can I serve the orange fluff immediately?
You technically can, but the flavors develop more if its chilled for 2+ hours. I recommend letting it set up in the fridge before serving.
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 pound small curd cottage cheese
- 3 ounces orange gelatin mix (1 standard size box), unprepared
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- In a large bowl, combine the thawed whipped topping and orange gelatin powder. Stir until well blended.
- Add in the cottage cheese and fold gently until fully incorporated. I know it sounds strange, but trust me – the cottage cheese gives this salad its unique creamy yet fluffy texture!
- Next, gently fold in the drained mandarin oranges and mini marshmallows until just combined.
- Refrigerate the salad for at least 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
- Scoop the orange fluff salad into bowls or onto a platter and enjoy! It’s the perfect light and refreshing dessert.
- Feel free to experiment with other gelatin flavors like pineapple, strawberry or a mixed berry blend.
- For a make-ahead salad, prepare it the day before and store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Top with whipped cream or sweetened shredded coconut for extra decadence!
Enjoy this bright, citrusy twist on a classic fluff salad at your next warm-weather get-together!