Discover the art of making perfectly roasted Hasselback potatoes with our step-by-step recipe. Infused with garlic butter, seasoned with fresh herbs, and baked to a crispy finish, these potatoes offer a tantalizing twist to a classic favorite. Dive into “Ineskohl Kitchen” for this and more delicious inspirations!
- 4 to 6 potatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 cup (55g) butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preparation of Potatoes: Begin by washing your potatoes thoroughly. Dry them using a clean cloth or kitchen towel. Using a sharp knife, carefully make slices across each potato, ensuring not to cut all the way through. Tip: Place chopsticks or wooden spoons alongside the potato. This will prevent your knife from cutting through the entire potato.
- Garlic Butter Mixture: In a small saucepan over low heat, melt your butter. Add in the crushed garlic, stirring occasionally. Allow this mixture to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, making sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- First Coating: Drizzle half of the garlic butter mixture over your sliced potatoes. Ensure that some of the mixture seeps into the slices for maximum flavor.
- Seasoning: Generously sprinkle salt and pepper over the buttered potatoes to season.
- Baking: Preheat your oven to 392°F (200°C). Place the seasoned potatoes into the oven and let them roast for 30 minutes.
- Herb Infusion: After 30 minutes, remove the potatoes from the oven. Sprinkle some fresh thyme or any aromatic herbs of your choice over the potatoes.
- Second Coating: Drizzle the remaining garlic butter mixture over the potatoes, ensuring they’re well coated.
- Final Roast: Return the potatoes to the oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until they’re crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Garnish and Serve: Once baked to perfection, remove from the oven and garnish with freshly chopped parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy the blend of flavors!
- Pairs Well With: These Hasselback roasted potatoes are incredibly versatile and can be served alongside your favorite protein – be it grilled chicken, steak, or a vegan alternative. They also complement fresh salads or roasted vegetables.
- Sauces & Dips: Try them with a side of sour cream or a garlic aioli dip for an added punch. A herby green sauce, like chimichurri, can also elevate the flavors.
- Variations: If you’re feeling experimental, sprinkle some grated cheese over the potatoes in the last 10 minutes of baking for a cheesy twist. Parmesan, cheddar, or even feta can add an extra layer of flavor.
- Leftovers: If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be easily reheated in the oven or microwave. To maintain their crispiness when reheating in the oven, set it to 350°F (175°C) and warm them for 10-15 minutes.
- The key to perfect Hasselback potatoes is ensuring even slices. This not only makes them cook uniformly but also allows for better absorption of the butter and seasoning.
- Always choose high-quality, starchy potatoes for this recipe. They yield the best results in terms of texture and flavor.
- The butter mixture can be customized based on your preferences. Try adding some chili flakes for a bit of heat or swap the garlic for rosemary for a different aromatic profile.
Hasselback potatoes are a delightful dish that merges the simplicity of ingredients with a technique that makes them stand out on any dining table. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or enjoying a meal with your family, this dish is sure to impress. So, the next time you’re thinking of a potato side dish, remember this Swedish twist and give your meal an upgrade.