Bring warmth and nostalgia to your dining table with our Candied Sweet Potato Delight. Perfect for any occasion, from weeknight dinners to festive celebrations, this dish boasts the ideal blend of sugar, spices, and tender sweet potatoes. Dive in and let every bite whisk you away to memories of family gatherings and joy-filled moments.
Dive into the world of heartwarming dishes with Ineskohl Kitchen’s Candied Sweet Potato Delight. This recipe, rich with spices and sugars, brings forth a symphony of flavors, perfect for any celebration or cozy dinner. Experience this timeless classic now!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- A pinch of salt
- Prep the Sweet Potatoes: Start by peeling your sweet potatoes. Once peeled, slice them into roughly 1-inch thick rounds. If they’re too big, you can cut them in half for a more manageable size.
- Layer the Sweetness: In a non-stick pot, add two tablespoons of water to prevent sticking. Begin by laying one layer of your sliced sweet potatoes at the bottom.
- Sugar Layer: Over your sweet potatoes, evenly sprinkle about a third of both the light brown sugar and the white granulated sugar.
- Sprinkle the Spices: After your sugar layer, gently sprinkle a bit of each spice: nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon. Remember, you’re layering, so don’t use all your spices in one go!
- Repeat the Layers: Continue layering your sweet potatoes, followed by the sugars and spices, until all are used up.
- The Ginger-Clove Twist: During your final layer, introduce the ground ginger and ground cloves for an added depth of flavor. A pinch of salt can be added here to contrast the sweetness but use sparingly!
- Let the Magic Happen: Turn on your burner to medium heat. As the sweet potatoes cook, they’ll release their natural juices, which will mix with the sugars and spices, resulting in a delightful syrup.
- Add Butter for Richness: About halfway through cooking, scatter butter cubes on top. Let them melt naturally into the mix, infusing the dish with a rich and creamy texture.
- Tenderness is Key: As the sweet potatoes soften, gently stir occasionally to ensure even cooking and to prevent them from sticking to the bottom. Cook until they’re fork-tender and the syrup has thickened to a glaze-like consistency.
- Serve and Enjoy: Once done, transfer your Candied Sweet Potato Delight to a serving dish and drizzle with any remaining syrup from the pot. Serve warm and enjoy the sweet symphony of flavors!
- Selecting Sweet Potatoes: Opt for firm sweet potatoes with a smooth skin. This ensures they’re fresh and will provide the best texture for candying.
- Layering is Essential: The key to getting the right flavor throughout the dish is layering. By layering sweet potatoes with sugars and spices, each slice absorbs the sweet syrup evenly, ensuring consistent flavor in every bite.
- Watch Your Heat: Always keep an eye on your pot. Medium heat ensures slow cooking, which is essential for drawing out the natural sweetness of the potatoes without burning them.
- Storage: If you end up with leftovers (which might be rare given how delicious this is!), store in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in a microwave or oven until warmed through before serving again.
- Pairing Suggestions: Candied Sweet Potato Delight pairs wonderfully with roasted or grilled meats. It also complements traditional holiday dishes like turkey, ham, and green bean almondine.