Dive into a sumptuous plate of crispy breaded chicken wings with a sweet, spicy, and salty flavor profile. Follow our step-by-step guide to recreate this crunchy treat at the comfort of your kitchen.
- 1 lb of party chicken wings
- 1 tbsp of hot sauce (I recommend Frank’s for a tangy kick)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 2 tsp of honey habanero spice
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- Prepare Your Wings: Begin by patting your chicken wings dry. This ensures a crisp finish once cooked.
- Seasoning Mix: In a container, combine salt, smoked paprika, honey habanero spice, and black pepper. Shake well to ensure the spices are thoroughly mixed.
- Coat with Spices: Place your chicken wings in the seasoning mix. Shake the container to coat the wings evenly. You can also massage the wings gently to ensure they soak up the flavors.
- Flour Mix: In a separate container, mix the all-purpose flour with the same seasoning mix. This will double up the flavor, giving your wings that sweet, spicy, and salty punch.
- Bread the Wings: Place your chicken wings, a few at a time, into the flour mixture. Shake the container to coat each wing evenly. This process ensures your wings have a crispy outer layer when cooked.
- Preheat Your Fryer: Get your fryer ready by preheating it to 380°F. While waiting, set your wings on a raised grate. This allows airflow beneath, preventing sogginess.
- Rest the Wings: Allow the wings to rest for about 10-15 minutes. This ensures the flour and seasoning adhere well to the wings.
- Oil Application: Lightly spray or brush your chicken wings with olive oil. Make sure your oil spray contains only pure oil to prevent potential damage to your fryer basket.
- Arranging for the Fry: Place the chicken wings in the fryer basket in a single layer. Remember, do not overcrowd to guarantee a crisp finish.
- Cook: Fry the wings for 10-12 minutes. Halfway through, open the basket, flip the wings and brush or spray some more oil on them. This method helps in achieving a golden-brown crispy texture.
- Optional Sauce Application: For those who love an extra kick, brush your wings with your chosen hot sauce after the initial frying phase, then fry for a few more minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy: Once cooked to a crispy perfection, serve your chicken wings immediately. Pair with your favorite dipping sauce if desired.
Tips for the Perfect Crispy Chicken Wings:
- Uniform Coating: Whether using spices, flour, or both, always ensure your wings have an even coat. This gives a consistent taste and texture to every bite.
- Avoid Overcrowding: When frying, always ensure there’s ample space between each wing. This guarantees a crispy exterior and evenly cooked meat.
- Oil Matters: The choice of oil can impact the flavor. Extra virgin olive oil gives a subtle richness to the wings. However, always ensure your spray is pure and doesn’t contain chemicals.
- Hot Sauce Choice: While I’ve suggested Frank’s hot sauce, feel free to experiment with others to suit your palate. Some like it smoky, others tangy, and a few fiery hot.
- Rest Before Frying: Allowing the wings to rest after breading makes the coating adhere better, resulting in a crunchier exterior.
- Fryer Size: Depending on the size of your fryer, you may need to cook in batches. Remember, for best results, never overload your fryer.
These wings go fabulously with:
- Celery Sticks and Blue Cheese Dip: The coolness of the dip complements the spiciness of the wings.
- Crispy French Fries: A classic side that never disappoints.
- Fresh Salad: For those who prefer a lighter side, a fresh green salad with a tangy vinaigrette works wonders.
These breaded chicken wings are a delightful treat, combining the best of crunch, flavor, and just the right amount of heat. Whether you’re hosting a game night, a family get-together, or simply craving some finger-licking goodness, this recipe promises to be a crowd-pleaser.
Keep cooking, keep experimenting, and most importantly, keep enjoying the flavors of life. See you in the next recipe post!